Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

smacsween
Frequent Visitor

Conditional merge columns

i am trying to merge columns based on an IF statement and ISBLANK.  If I have Country name in Table1, use that value, if not, use the Country value from Table2.

I can't see how to do this, I have created a measure but it does not give any results

OfficeCombined =
IF (
isblank(SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table1'[Country] ) ),
SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Country] ),
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table1'[Country] )
)

What am I doing wrong? it's driving me crazy, seems so simple but I can't figure out DAX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smacsween ,

Just try this:

NewTable =
DISTINCT (
    UNION ( DISTINCT ( Table1[Country] ), DISTINCT ( Table2[Country] ) )
)

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
smacsween
Frequent Visitor

What I am trying to do is create a new text column:

Let's see if I can describe it differently.  If the text already exists in a column from Table 1, use that. If that column in Table 1 is null or blank, instead take the text from the relevant column in Table 2. 

The Union function gives me both together, and I end up with different rows but containing identical data.  I only need one or the other because the field will be present in at least one of the columns, maybe both.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smacsween ,

Just try this:

NewTable =
DISTINCT (
)

Best regards

Icey

If this post helps, then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @smacsween ,

SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[Country]) will only return the countries included in Table1, and will not compare the countries in Table1 and Table2 to see if they are included. Same as SELECTEDVALUE('Table2'[Country]).

So, if "Country 1" is only contained in Table2, SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[Country]) will not return blank for it.

It is suggested to create a table like below and create relationships among them:

NewTable =

table.JPGre.JPG

Best regards

Icey

smacsween
Frequent Visitor

It's two text columns I want to merge so actually a measure is probably not the thing I should have tried, it should just be a new column.  What would be the corresponding formula for a text merge based on that scenario?

It's a calculated column?  If so, take off the MIN( ) for whichever table you are putting it on.  For example, if adding the column to Table 2,

OfficeCombined =
IF (
isblank(MIN ( 'Table1'[Country] ) ),
Table2[Country] ,
MIN ( 'Table1'[Country] )
)

Regards,
Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You said this is a measure, so I assume you are using it in a table visual.  What is the relationhip between Table1 and Table2.  You could try this instead, but will depend on the relatinship.

OfficeCombined =
IF (
isblank(MIN ( 'Table1'[Country] ) ),
MIN ( Table2[Country] ),
MIN ( 'Table1'[Country] )
)

Regards,
Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors