Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

algorton
Frequent Visitor

Comparing versions with multiple decimal points

Good morning

I am trying to run a comparision to check if the operating system version of my mobile devices is compliant. I was thinking of running Power Query e.g.

if [operatingSystem] = "Android" and [osVersion] <=10
then "TRUE"
else if [operatingSystem] = "iOS" and [osVersion] <15
then "TRUE"
else if [operatingSystem] = null or [osVersion] = null
then "Unknown"
else "FALSE"

My data is obviously in the incorrect format so the idea was to convert to decimal (I only need the major version number to do a comparison):

algorton_0-1687863002974.png

When converting the column to decimal I see the following error: DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number.Details: 5.1.1.

Obviously the multiple decimal points seem to be causing a problem; numbers with a single decimal point e.g. 7.0 convert with no issue. It would be appreciated if anyone could provide me some ideas on how I can achieve this comparision.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day @algorton 

The Text.BeforeDelimiter function may be used to extract text before the first "." (if there is no "." it will simply return the text). In the following code replace #"Previous Step" with the name of your previous step.

= Table.TransformColumns(
#"Previous Step",
{{"osVersion", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "."), type text}}
)

After this you can change the column type to whole number.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day @algorton 

The Text.BeforeDelimiter function may be used to extract text before the first "." (if there is no "." it will simply return the text). In the following code replace #"Previous Step" with the name of your previous step.

= Table.TransformColumns(
#"Previous Step",
{{"osVersion", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "."), type text}}
)

After this you can change the column type to whole number.

Hope this helps.

@collinsg thanks very much for your input; the code below worked perfectly for me.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded ownerTypes", "osVersion_Decimal", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([osVersion], "."), type text)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors