Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HarryMay69

Column Count on Data Import

Hi All

I am using a MRP system that exports various businees report daily as CSV files.

I have many Power Queries linked to the .CSV files in both Excel and BI.

The raw reports can be amended by the IT deparment for other users and aditional columns are added to the report.

Is there any way of setting up power query to ignore any new columns added to the original data import file.

At present all of my queries fall over in the applied steps when it trys to change type, for some reason it notices the new colum in the source data, and trys to promote headers, but in te change type field it cant recognise the header.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay thanks, so I assumed as it auto fills in the first three applied steps thats the order they needed to be in.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

The 'remove other columns' will have to be before the Changed Type.

Okay thanks, so I assumed as it auto fills in the first three applied steps thats the order they needed to be in.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

How about inserting a step to 'remove other columns'?  If you select all the columns required with ctrl mouse click or shift mouse click then right-click, the option will be there.

This translates to a Table.SelectColumns call.

Hi Yes I already have that but after the change type, i.e. after the auto populated three steps.

HarryMay69_0-1680603235515.png

The source step is finding the new columns added in the data, then the promote headers is working but the change type falls over as it cant find the new columns promoted headers name. you just get this at the end of the code, , {"", type text}}) and you have to manually type in the new colum name.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors