Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kheara

Change Type changed format

Hey.. So I'm not sure this is the right place to post to get help.

I have built a number of investment models using PowerQuery. I noticed this morning that all my models are broken and lagging really badly... 

I stepped through the query editor to try see where the lagging starts and I found that as I got to 'Changed Type' it through out errors. Previous types set on Currency were no longer working. So I tried to update the column and noticed the code format changed for the function... And it isn't accepting the new format. Very strange. Was there a Change Type update recently? And how do I unsure I get the proper patch for the code, so that I don't have to rebuild all my dashboards.

It changed from type number to Number.Type

Screenshot_2023-12-05-17-52-41-04_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Kheara

Kheara_0-1701844448008.png

Hi @PijushRoy ... I have built a number of investment models using PowerQuery. I noticed that all my models are lagging really badly... 

I went through the query editor step by step until I got to the 'Changed Type' step, as indicated in my picture attached above. This is where the lagging starts. Change Type, as you know, changes column types to number, integer, decimal, text, currency etc..... I noticed that the types I had set previously were no longer working.(But I haven't changed anything? The model was working fine and then I opened it again and it wasn't) So I tried to update the column and noticed the code format changed for the function... And it isn't accepting the new format. Very strange. Was there a Change Type update recently? And how do I unsure I get the proper patch for the code, so that I don't have to rebuild all my dashboards.

Kheara_1-1701844789574.png

The highlighted yellow is the "New Function" that gets created when you try change the column type... You will clearly see that it is a different format to the other code around it.... It has changed from {Col Index, type number} to { Col Index, Number.Type} for example.... This is breaking my dashboard? Why has Microsoft changed the way that Change Type function is coded?

Hi @Kheara 

Select the column & check the error before and after the Change type step (run same for all column especially the two you mentioned). This step is only for troubleshoot purpose, delete the step after troubleshoot

PijushRoy_0-1701848454687.png

Let me know result
If you find error are there you need to rectify or remove before apply the change type steps

PijushRoy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kheara 

The image you shared, is it clear
also your question is not clear for me.

Can you share better image and elaborate the issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors