Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Novus-0

Cant access SSAS with Power BI gateway

Hello,

I m new working with Power BI. I made a simple dashboard and report with Power BI Desktop. Both are connected to my local Analysis Server (SSAS) and both are working fine. Now I uploaded all (report, dashboard and dataset) to my Power BI App. I also installed a on-premise-gateway and configured a datasource, including adding my dataset to the corresponding datasource (both SSAS connections). Gateway and datasource got the status "online" in my gateway-management-window. 

But as soon as I want to see my report or dashboard, I got the error message "this report cant access to the datasource. please contact the author".

Whats kinda weird is, that I also made a another report but using a connection to my SQL Server instead and it works. 

In conclusion: 

- I can access SSAS and SQL Server with my Power BI Desktop

- I can access SQL Server with Power BI App and my Gateway

- I cant access SSAS with Power BI App and my Gateway

What am I missing here?

5 REPLIES 5
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

your local cube is not a good POC platform.  Test with the real remote cube.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Then you likely need to use a personal gateway.

Why are you still bothering with SSAS?  is this a legacy cube?

Well, I want to check if I manage to connect Power BI with my local cube. 

When this works, I will try to connect it with a remote cube. 

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Novus-0 

Do you map your Power BI account to your local Active Directory UPN that has access to the AS server? When connecting to a SSAS database, you have to ensure the UPN mapping is correct after you add the data source to the on-premises data gateway in Power BI Service. Please refer to Manual user remapping in Power BI

You can use the following command from your workstation to find out the local Active Directory UPN for your account:

whoami /upn

Each time a user interacts with Analysis Services, the effective user name is passed to the gateway and then to the on-premises Analysis Services server. The UPN, which is typically the email address you use to sign in to the cloud Power BI Service, is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user in the EffectiveUserName connection property.

This email address should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory domain. The UPN is a property of an AD account. A Windows account must be present in an Analysis Services role to have access to the server. If no match is found in Active Directory, the sign-in won't be successful.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Hi!

My UPN email adress is the same as the one I use for Power BI. 

And my windows account is present as a admin-role on my SSAS. I forgot to mention, that the SSAS I m trying to connect with is on my local machine (for testing purpose). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors