Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Siboska
Helper II
Helper II

Bad performance when referencing main table

Hi, 

I have some performance issues for 5 tables in my datamodel. The tables will approximitly take around 30-40 minutes to refresh. 
For comparison the same table in SQL take appr. 1:30 min to execute. 

The case:
My main table is initiative. I make a reference to 4 other tables, where my hope was that it would only run the query once. In SQL, however, I can see that the query from my initiative is run 1 time for each table, which is very ineffective. NOTE ( All 5 tables must be used in the reporting and therefore refreshed):

Siboska_0-1668060793535.png

As you can see in the following SQL snapshot the main initiative query is performed 5 times synchronously:

Siboska_1-1668060899127.png
Is there a way in Power Query where I can ensure that when I create a reference table it does not run the main query again but uses the one that is run initiatives?
Or maybe there are other more efficient ways to do this type of task in power query?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Antriks, 

Thx for your reply. Interresting approach. I have never worked with dataflow tho so my solution was to rewrtite the logic in the referenced queries, so they have theire own native query only containing the relevant information. Got a significant performance boost.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Siboska You can create a dataflow and in the dataflow turn on Enhanced Compute Engine.

Hi Antriks, 

Thx for your reply. Interresting approach. I have never worked with dataflow tho so my solution was to rewrtite the logic in the referenced queries, so they have theire own native query only containing the relevant information. Got a significant performance boost.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors