Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cpowroa

Azure SQL Database Connector Issue

Hello,

I have created a report with Power BI Designer. It connects to an Azure SQL Database and an Excel file. It works, but after I upload it to the Web App, it will not refresh data from the Azure SQL Database automatically. When I key in my credentials to the database, it says:

Activity Id: 40b1ce8b-3598-41ca-b8e4-a4128b9f95bd
Request Id: 31a0295e-182d-4f33-3792-7b5ccd18e337
Status Code: 400
Time: Wed Jul 15 2015 16:13:25 GMT+0200 (Romance Daylight Time)
Version: 11.0.9167.381

As far as I know, I have "allowed access to Azure Services".

Also, when I create a dataset in the Web App, the Web App finds my tables/columns, but when I try using anything, it says: we couldn't retrieve the data for this visualization. (it looks a bit like this issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31319480/why-does-power-bi-preview-have-an-issue-creating-visuali...)

Can you help me? Am I missing an obvious step?

6 REPLIES 6

Would your table happen to be using some "exotic" fields? Like geometry or geography? THat has been a problem in the past. If so, try creating a view that leaxes those fields out.

jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, as you are combining your azure db with an excel file, your connection should be trying to from OnPremises go to azure to get data and then refresh it in powerbi, go to the computer that has the gateway installed and get the IP, then go to your azure db and create a firewall rule to allow that IP.

After that, try again from power bi.

Let me know if this workaround works

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co

Hello,

Thank you for your reply !

I do not think it is the issue, the database is configured to allow all IP (v4) addresses already. (0.0.0.0 -> 255.255.255.255)

I tried doing a simpler report but for some reason I cannot configure the datasource now after I upload it to PowerBI.com, the links remain gray. (it won't allow me to refresh unless I go to manage data sources first, it says it needs valid credentials first - could it be the case it is confusing this Azure SQL database for an on-premises one?)

So I tried connecting to my Azure SQL database directly from PowerBI.com and here is what I got when I tried adding columns to a chart. (picture below)

Thank you, and good day,

error.png

cpowroa

FYI, when I try another database on the same server - it works. Only this database does not work. (by the way, it is used for/by an Azure Mobile Service, I do not know if that matters)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. I will create a ticket on our side and have someone look into it. I'll reach out to you if we need more information for the investigation.

Youssef

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors