Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nicolas_her

Avoid Error Message in Excel, when Power Query Import is not available

Hello All,

I tried to optimize a KPI which is updated automatically under Excel.

The Excel KPI is created with Requests / Links (Power Query Import) from CVS file and the connections are updated automatically every 20 min.

The CSV files are updated every hour on an intranet network. Problem : Sometimes files are missing during 10 minutes.

If the link from Excel / Power Query to CSV is updated during this time, I have an error message : "Source missing".

And I don't find anywhere, in Power Query or Excel, how to avoid this error message or a solution that test the availability of the Source File to update the KPI. (If unavailable, no update and of course no error message).

Many thanks for your feedback.

Regards.

Nicolas

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi Nicolas,

To do this type of thing in Power Query you generally set up a dummy source that just contains your table schema, then switch to that if there's a source error.

Check out Chris Webb's blog on error handling in Power Query to find the solution that works best for your scenario.

Make sure to read the comments too as there's important improvements logged there:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/07/03/ensuring-columns-are-always-present-in-a-table-returned-by-p... 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2014/09/18/handling-data-source-errors-in-power-query/ 

Another possible alternative is to run your CSV refreshes in Dataflows.

Pro: Retains previous refresh dataset if current refresh fails.

Con: Adds another step into your refresh process, as you will need to update the dataset after the Dataflow has refreshed (can really easily use Power Automate to push the dataset refresh after DF refresh complete.)

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Ok, thanks, I will check 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors