Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Enable restart capacity for embedded gen2

Dear MS,

I suggest that you enable restart capacity for embedded capacity gen2, same as was the possibility for gen1.

Knowing that you state it should not be necessary we are facing serious trouble with the capacity load spinning out of control and I am certain a restart would help getting back to normal here and now.

See my related post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/PBIX-Refresh-and-Service-Reports-incredible-slow-these-days...

I am quite keen on getting some feedback again from a MS supporter, also to get to the depth of this issue, why the capacity load suddenly spins up to a abnormal level - and as is currently the situation renders all reports for our clients useless due to high loadtime. Data refresh on dataflows and datasets executes as scheduled without noticeable difference.

Please get back asap, out clients demands a resolution.

Note: see below screenshots for latest incidents date and time, I am also using the Gen2 Utilization Metrics to try and identify the source of the problem, however, it does not show anything out of the ordinary. 

Note2: I have upgraded temporary the capacity from A1 to A2, which is why you see the load dropping to half, it is not for normal business, and it sure shouldn't be necessary as our normal load is around 20%.

Thanks.

LasseMr_0-1629356183331.png

LasseMr_1-1629356202684.png

Comments
LasseMr
Helper II

Update: under the Resource Health there is a notification, but to much help, however, it is exactly from the time when the capacity spun out of control yesterday, see below:

LasseMr_0-1629357057369.png

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@LasseMr 

Embedded Gen2 capacities don't require restart. A similar utilization issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

IcM 246923431

LasseMr
Helper II

@v-chuncz-msft , thank you for the insight, anywhere in particular I can follow the progress, IcM is that Internal change Management and a issue-number? Where can I follow the status?

Note: I also have a support ticket open and a few supporters working on the issue, first feedback was to restart the capacity which I found a bit worrysome as your own documentation actually also states that Gen2 does not require/allow restart.

Anyways, the workaround I had to put into effect was to create a new capacity of same tier and generation and move all workspaces to this - it resolved the issue immediately, while the old capacity still continued at around 800+% load (without any workspaces associated) the new capacity ran splendidly fast and maxes at around 20-30% as normal.

It is not a sustainable issue as I manually have to monitor the load and move "many" workspaces whenever it happens - unhappy customers and increased cost for us.

I observed though, that around 9:45PM CET there is a drastic change in workload - i.e. old capacity dropped after having moved the workspaces to 0% and the new increase to ~20%, I can only deduct that there is a scheduled job around that time which does "something" to the cache and/or CPU load, and not always for the better.

@PierreL I can see from your message that you experienced same issue and temp. resolution was the same.

Looking forward for a sustainable solution.

PierreL
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue as @LasseMr .

My capacity seems to go on full usage for no reason. I have followed the same solution as him and created another capacity then moved the workspaces to the new capacity. While it has temporary resolved the issue, the problem came back a few hours on the new capacity. 

As below screenshot the new capacity went to 40% at 7.30pm when no users were connected on it and no refresh was taking place. 

PierreL_0-1629685449942.png

Thanks

Pierre