Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cmiroslav
Advocate I
Advocate I

Working in git as a team and project submission

Hi! Very happy to be part of this hackaton! 

This is my first encounter with Microsoft Fabric, so still on a learning path :).

I saw that we can integrate git while developing our hackaton solution, but only the Azure Git, so it will be a different one from the git account we used to register to hackaton.

So how can we use the Git to be okay for submission and to be abble to work as a team using it.

Thank you and happy hacking!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

you won't have much fun trying it this way. 

you could try to create multiple branches and connect each branch to a separate workspace, assuming that all users are full members in the same tenant (not guest accounts) and have repo admin rights as well (full users, not stakeholders). but... merging the branches is going to be a nightmare. it simply does not work as nice as it does in synapse or ADF for that matter. 

I recommend following

1) all team members work in the same workspace on different components (that's the way we're handling it in our team)

2) each team member works in their own workspace and their own repo (assuming all team member are from the same tenant and have a full license (basic) and have contribute permissions to the devops project.

in any case keep following in mind:

Git integration in Fabric is still in beta. more than half the object types are not supported (Dataflow Gen 2, Pipelines, Default Semantic Models, Direct Lake semantic models, Lakehouse configurations, warehouses, KQL Databases, Real time Analytics Endpoints, Event Streams, KQL Query Sets, etc)

So there is currently very little benefit from hooking up git directly to the workspace, unless you only plan on working on notebooks, reports and semantic models. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
cmiroslav
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

Update on Azure git in Fabric - it doesn't seem to work :)). we created accounts for each team member with the same credentials as for fabric and created organizations to be able to connect form Fabric. One team member was able to connect to the created project - but for the rest of us - there-s no organisation in the Git provider... even if we have our created organization and that one created by our colleague where we're added as users.

what is wrong with Azure DevOps git and Fabric? :))

A few things to consider:

Azure Devops integration with fabric only works for one single tenant. all workspace admins should be in the same tenant. 

When one admin sets up the sync, nobody else should need to setup sync anymore. it happens at workspace level and once configured is triggered by the sync button. 

Anybody who wants to work with a Git Repo in Azure Devops needs a Basic or VSEnterprise license. Stakeholder is not enough. Again, having the workspace admin set up the sync should be enough. 

Question is: what are you trying to achieve? hooking up a single workspace with a git repo in Azure Devops is normally quite simple and only requires one person to have enough rights to setup. I have the feeling you're trying something more complex. 

The idea was to use a repo created by one team member using his/hers Fabric account where we would add the other two members as users to work on different branches and to combine our work in a main branch.

One of us created an organization in his/her Azure DevOps account, added to his/her workspace and added us as users. We could see that project in our Azure account. Next we tried to connect to the organization created by  that team member, but no organization was in the drop-down list.

Also we tried to create an organization in our Azure DevOps account, with an initialized project inside to connect to our workspace in fabric, but even this way - no organization is in the dropdown list. 

Can we use a repo in this way?

Thank you

you won't have much fun trying it this way. 

you could try to create multiple branches and connect each branch to a separate workspace, assuming that all users are full members in the same tenant (not guest accounts) and have repo admin rights as well (full users, not stakeholders). but... merging the branches is going to be a nightmare. it simply does not work as nice as it does in synapse or ADF for that matter. 

I recommend following

1) all team members work in the same workspace on different components (that's the way we're handling it in our team)

2) each team member works in their own workspace and their own repo (assuming all team member are from the same tenant and have a full license (basic) and have contribute permissions to the devops project.

in any case keep following in mind:

Git integration in Fabric is still in beta. more than half the object types are not supported (Dataflow Gen 2, Pipelines, Default Semantic Models, Direct Lake semantic models, Lakehouse configurations, warehouses, KQL Databases, Real time Analytics Endpoints, Event Streams, KQL Query Sets, etc)

So there is currently very little benefit from hooking up git directly to the workspace, unless you only plan on working on notebooks, reports and semantic models. 

Not much fun indeed... 🙂

The instructions from the hackaton page described the steps to create a server and to work there, but there was no suggestion to use just one server with multiple users if working as a team. 

But this makes sense. We will put everything in one workspace and will work on the same server under different users.

Thanks!

cmiroslav
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for your sugestions!

For now we will work using Azure Git, since it have direct integration to Fabric.

Still not sure, yet, how we should proceed with Github git for the final submission to point to the entire team - will it count if all team members will be added to that git as collaborators?

In the final submission form => https://github.com/microsoft/hack-together-fabric-ai/issues/new?assignees=&labels=&projects=&templat..., there is a field to add your team members by GitHub username.  This is the most important step to ensure team members are attributed to your team project.

pdecarlo
Employee
Employee

For final submission, you'll want to make your project repo available on Github, but there is no issues with working in a standalone git instance like Azure Repos while you hack! 

If you want to use git for hacking and later submission, it is advised to do all work on Github from the outset.

alxdean
Advocate V
Advocate V

You could use Azure Devops git for your workspace and periodically clone it locally and then push it as a second origin to your github project... but.... Not a good idea:

• Most artefacts are not supported in Fabric-git. So nobody will be able to use the git repo to reproduce your solution. 
  • You risk checking in keys and secrets that should never land in github. 
  • a workspace git integration creates fabric-specific git-artefacts that are not conducive to sharing your knowledge via a public github repo

Instead I would recommend building a separate git repo with a copy of any artefacts that are needed to share the love. there you can also go wild with pretty markup to use images and other elements to snazz up your submission.

just my 2 c worth.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors