Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bakhtsingh14
Regular Visitor

Assistance Needed: Kernel Connection Timeout in VS Code with Microsoft Fabric

Hello Community,

I'm new to using Microsoft Fabric and am encountering a challenge that I hope some of you might be able to assist me with. I've been trying to run a Jupyter notebook in Visual Studio Code, but I keep running into a kernel connection timeout issue.

Here’s what I see when I try to start the notebook:

```
Failed to start the Kernel.
Unable to start Kernel 'fabric-synapse-runtime-1-1 (Python 3.10.10)' due to a connection timeout.
```

I've attached a screenshot of the error for reference.

What I've tried so far:
- Ensuring that the Conda environment is correctly set up and activated.
- Checking that the IPython kernel is installed and up to date.
- Uninstalling VS Code and reinstall all the extensions.

Despite these efforts, I'm still facing the timeout error. Could anyone provide some guidance on what might be causing this and how to resolve it? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from those familiar with Synapse and Fabric on VS Code.

Thank you so much for your time and help!synapse_fabric_error1.jpeg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @v-nikhilan-msft ,
Thank you so much for your help. I have raised a support ticket for this issue. Ticket Number is 2403130040001992.

View solution in original post

Hi @bakhtsingh14 
The issue in your case is the session is starting very slowly. Can you please add the JupyterLaunch Timeout like this:

vnikhilanmsft_0-1710335567651.png

Default timeout is 60000 ms (1 minutes). Set the Default timeout to 10 mins (i.e) 600000ms. After setting the timeout you can connect to the cluster successfully.

vnikhilanmsft_1-1710335725408.png

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bakhtsingh14 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Can you please check if the spark version in your notebook is also set to runtime 1.1 version?

vnikhilanmsft_0-1710135060344.png

Thanks.

bakhtsingh14_0-1710192646622.png

Hi @v-nikhilan-msft ,
Yes the spark version in my notebook is also set to runtime 1.1 version. I'm able to run this notebook in the UI but not locally in vscode.
Thank you.

Hi @bakhtsingh14 
Thanks for the details.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this. We will update you once we hear back from them.
Thanks 

Hi @bakhtsingh14 
Apologies for the issue you have been facing.

If the issue still persists, please reach out to our support team so they can do a more thorough investigation on why this is happening: Link 

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other queries.

Hi @v-nikhilan-msft ,
Thank you so much for your help. I have raised a support ticket for this issue. Ticket Number is 2403130040001992.

Hi @bakhtsingh14 
The issue in your case is the session is starting very slowly. Can you please add the JupyterLaunch Timeout like this:

vnikhilanmsft_0-1710335567651.png

Default timeout is 60000 ms (1 minutes). Set the Default timeout to 10 mins (i.e) 600000ms. After setting the timeout you can connect to the cluster successfully.

vnikhilanmsft_1-1710335725408.png

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Hi @v-nikhilan-msft,
Making this change helped me overcome this connection timeout error. Thank you once again.

Hi @bakhtsingh14 

Glad that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors