Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

holly3012

Updating custom visual formatting pane with text input

Hi - I'm making a custom scatterplot visual and as I have updated to API 5.1, I have replaced my enumerate function with a formatting model. I want to have a text input for my x and y axis labels in my formatting pane. I keep getting an error when putting in the value in my formatting function.. I'm only having this problem for text inputs and everything else seems to work fine.

This is my code below.

{
          displayName: "X Axis Label",
          uid: "xAxisLabel_uid",
          control: {
            type: powerbi.visuals.FormattingComponent.TextInput,
            properties: {
              descriptor: {
                objectName: "axes",
                propertyName: "xAxisLabel",
              },
              value:  this.settings.axes.xAxisLabel,
            },
          },
        },

I've also tried value: {value: this.settings.axes.xAxisLabel} but I'm still getting the same issue. 

The error message: Type 'string' is not assignable to type 'ControlType<SimpleComponentType>'

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @holly3012 ,

Each formatting property in the formatting model needs a corresponding object in the capabilities.json file. The formatting property should contain a descriptor with an object name and property name that exactly match the corresponding capabilities object (the object and property names are case sensitive).

The following table shows the formatting property types in capabilities.json file and their matching type class in modern formatting model properties, please check: Visualization pane formatting properties 

For more details, please refer to:

Customize the format pane in Power BI custom visuals - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My capabilities match to the corresponding property types, it is just when I try to use a TextInput that I am getting an error...

Hi Holly, 

Did you ever resolve this?  I'm running into a similar issue.

I had this error too and fixed it by adding a placeholder property: 

SanderGi_0-1688097602482.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.