Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phidso
Frequent Visitor

Understanding Linguistic Schema Definition Language schema for Q&A feature

I want to understand the specifics of the Linguistic Schema Definition Language - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/natural-language/q-and-a-tooling-advanced.

The only help provided is in the link above; it provides examples of phrasings and typical configuration files with the spec (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=871858). The spec is outdated and provides a minimal description for each of the available fields.

I found the latest schema on schemastore.org; I'm using schema version 3.4.0: https://json.schemastore.org/lsdlschema-3.4.json.

After reviewing the schema, I found the below fields have ambiguous schema descriptions and either does not have examples or are too vague to understand the use case. Can you please provide examples of how they are used and possibly a better description?

• Under 'Entities'
    • > 'Definition' > 'Binding' (The conceptual model object binding)
      • ConceptualEntity- The name of the conceptual entity (e.g. table or pod)
      • Hierarchy- The name of the hierarchy (e.g. tables or pods) 
      • HierarchyLevel- The name of the hierarchy level 
      • VariationSet- The name of the variation set that contains the hierarchy
      • VariationSource- The name of the property containing the variation set that contains the property
      • ConceptualProperty- The name of the property
      • Measure- The name of the measure
    • TemplateSchema-Identifies the shared template schema from which an object in the linguistic schema is derived
    • SemanticType- The overall semantic category of the entity
    • NameType- Indicates whether this entity represents the Name or ID of something
    • Units- Nouns which indicate the units represented in this numeric property entity.
    • Instances-Defines how instance values from the model are recognized
    • > ImplicitGroupings (A list of related entities which are used to group the query when this entity is shown)
      • Entity-The name of the entity
      • Namespace-The name of the namespace of the linguistic schema that contains the entity
  • Under 'Relationships' (The relationships in the linguistic schema.)
    • > Roles- References to linguistic entities which participate in the relationship
      • Target- The linguistic entity which is the target of the role {Roles(self)}
      • Nouns- Nouns which can be used to refer to the entity which is the target of the role, when used in the context of the relationship
      • Quantity- A role which indicates the quantity of this role's entity which participates in the relationship
      • Amount- A role which indicates the amount of this role's entity which participates in the relationship
    • SemanticSlots
      • Duration- A role which indicates how long the relationship occurred
      • Occurrences - A role which indicates the number of times the relationship occurred
    • Phrasings
      • adjective/verb phrasings-  phrasing on a linguistic relationship
        • AdverbPhrases- Additional adverb phrases which apply to the phrasing
          • Adverbs- Adverbs used to describe the relationship (high measurement)
          • Antonyms- Adverbs used to describe the relationship (low measurement)
          • Measurement- The measure which the adverb pertains to

[I've edited the post to be more specific]

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Phidso ,

Here I find some blogs about Editing Q&A linguistic schemas, and I hope they could help you.

For reference:

Editing Q&A linguistic schemas

Synonyms, the secret behind Power BI Q&A and Natural Language Query

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Phidso
Frequent Visitor

BUMP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.