Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Analitika
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Theme in Power BI

Hello,

I would like to ask if possible to make one theme for all .pbix reports? I have imported theme into power bi but not all elements have changed. Things which were previously changed manually new theme didn't change it. Changed just rest elements. Is possible to make automatically apply theme, make overidding of theme. There is a way to make revert to default everythere but doing it manually it consumes a lot of time, maybe possible to automize this scenario?

24 REPLIES 24
analitika123
Helper II
Helper II

Hello,

I would like to ask how to define visuals parrameters in JSON code. Here is a my theme JSON code:

{"name":"Metricalist - Power BI Windows 11 Theme","visualStyles":{"page":{"*":{"background":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#202020"}},"transparency":0}],"outspace":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#DFDFE9"}}}],"displayArea":[{"verticalAlignment":"Middle"}]}},"*":{"*":{"outspacePane":[{"backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#DFDFE9"}},"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#323447"}},"checkboxAndApplyColor":{"solid":{"color":"#60CDFF"}}}],"filterCard":[{"$id":"Applied","backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#FCFDFE"}},"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#323447"}},"transparency":0},{"$id":"Available","backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#F1F2F7"}},"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#323447"}},"transparency":0}],"background":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}}}],"border":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}},"show":true,"radius":5}],"visualHeader":[{"background":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}},"foreground":{"solid":{"color":"#F8FAF7"}},"border":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}}}],"visualTooltip":[{"titleFontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#262735"}},"valueFontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}},"background":{"solid":{"color":"#F8FAF7"}}}],"visualHeaderTooltip":[{"titleFontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#262735"}},"background":{"solid":{"color":"#F8FAF7"}}}],"dropShadow":[{"position":"Outer","show":false,"color":{"solid":{"color":"#000000"}}}]}}},"dataColors":["#005FB8","#60CDFF","#777777","#459BAC","#D0000C","#696CB5","#CCCCCC","#000000","#3599B8","#DFBFBF","#4AC5BB","#5F6B6D","#FB8281","#F4D25A","#7F898A","#A4DDEE","#FDAB89","#B687AC","#28738A","#A78F8F","#168980","#293537","#BB4A4A","#B59525","#475052","#6A9FB0","#BD7150","#7B4F71","#1B4D5C","#706060","#0F5C55","#1C2325"],"textClasses":{"label":{"fontFace":"wf_standard-font, helvetica, arial, sans-serif","color":"#F8FAF7","fontSize":10},"callout":{"color":"#F8FAF7","fontSize":9,"fontFace":"'Segoe UI Bold', wf_segoe-ui_bold, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"},"title":{"color":"#F8FAF7","fontFace":"'Segoe UI Bold', wf_segoe-ui_bold, helvetica, arial, sans-serif","fontSize":9},"header":{"color":"#F8FAF7","fontSize":9,"fontFace":"'Segoe UI Semibold', wf_segoe-ui_semibold, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"}},"bad":"#60CDFF","neutral":"#CCCCCC","good":"#005FB8","minimum":"#60CDFF","center":"#CCCCCC","maximum":"#005FB8","foreground":"#F8FAF7","foregroundNeutralSecondary":"#CCCCCC","backgroundLight":"#262735","background":"#323447","foregroundNeutralTertiary":"#ADAEB5","backgroundNeutral":"#848591"}
Analitika
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hello,

I would like to ask how to make that imported theme would be overidden, I mean that manually changed elements (visuals, fonts, etc.) don't change after importing a theme. How make that imported theme will affect all dashboards parts in the Power BI?

Do I need to define, describe in json file or there is a simpler way?

Hi @Analitika ,

I check the json format and elements, but there is no object related to override. Maybe you can try to reset it to default.

vchenwuzmsft_1-1651214774254.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yeah but I need to make reset to default automatically not chaning each report part manually.

Hi @Analitika,

It is impossible to do that now, you can submit your idea to power bi ideas.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

Analitika
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hello,

I would like to ask how to make that I could override a theme in Power BI. I have an issue then I import a theme it changes not all dashboards elements in the Power BI. Some visuals, elements changes, some don't change. I observed that it doesn't override visual and elements which were modified by user manually. Is possible to resolve this issue?

Hi,

To my knowledge you can't do it globally on a report but you can reset a visual.

Click into format visual, click the three dots and click Reset all settings to default.

bcdobbs_0-1650988106954.png

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Analitika
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hello,

How to override schema in Power BI? Do I need to define attributes in JSON code.

Hello,

I would like to ask how to override a theme in power BI? 

{"name":"Metricalist - Power BI Windows 11 Theme","visualStyles":{"page":{"*":{"background":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#202020"}},"transparency":0}],"outspace":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#DFDFE9"}}}],"displayArea":[{"verticalAlignment":"Middle"}]}},"*":{"*":{"outspacePane":[{"backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#DFDFE9"}},"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#323447"}},"checkboxAndApplyColor":{"solid":{"color":"#60CDFF"}}}],"filterCard":[{"$id":"Applied","backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#FCFDFE"}},"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#323447"}},"transparency":0},{"$id":"Available","backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#F1F2F7"}},"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#323447"}},"transparency":0}],"background":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}}}],"border":[{"color":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}},"show":true,"radius":5}],"visualHeader":[{"background":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}},"foreground":{"solid":{"color":"#F8FAF7"}},"border":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}}}],"visualTooltip":[{"titleFontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#262735"}},"valueFontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#2C2C2C"}},"background":{"solid":{"color":"#F8FAF7"}}}],"visualHeaderTooltip":[{"titleFontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#262735"}},"background":{"solid":{"color":"#F8FAF7"}}}],"dropShadow":[{"position":"Outer","show":false,"color":{"solid":{"color":"#000000"}}}]}}},"dataColors":["#005FB8","#60CDFF","#777777","#459BAC","#D0000C","#696CB5","#CCCCCC","#000000","#3599B8","#DFBFBF","#4AC5BB","#5F6B6D","#FB8281","#F4D25A","#7F898A","#A4DDEE","#FDAB89","#B687AC","#28738A","#A78F8F","#168980","#293537","#BB4A4A","#B59525","#475052","#6A9FB0","#BD7150","#7B4F71","#1B4D5C","#706060","#0F5C55","#1C2325"],"textClasses":{"label":{"fontFace":"wf_standard-font, helvetica, arial, sans-serif","color":"#F8FAF7","fontSize":10},"callout":{"color":"#F8FAF7","fontSize":9,"fontFace":"'Segoe UI Bold', wf_segoe-ui_bold, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"},"title":{"color":"#F8FAF7","fontFace":"'Segoe UI Bold', wf_segoe-ui_bold, helvetica, arial, sans-serif","fontSize":9},"header":{"color":"#F8FAF7","fontSize":9,"fontFace":"'Segoe UI Semibold', wf_segoe-ui_semibold, helvetica, arial, sans-serif"}},"bad":"#60CDFF","neutral":"#CCCCCC","good":"#005FB8","minimum":"#60CDFF","center":"#CCCCCC","maximum":"#005FB8","foreground":"#F8FAF7","foregroundNeutralSecondary":"#CCCCCC","backgroundLight":"#262735","background":"#323447","foregroundNeutralTertiary":"#ADAEB5","backgroundNeutral":"#848591"}

I have a theme JSON code. Is possible to define visuals, other elements in this json, I have tried to defined stacked bar chart but not successfull because after define nothing has changed.

If you wish to customize the theme, this article will help:

Themes and custom themes in Power BI 

There are aslo free tools to help, such as:

https://themes.powerbi.tips/ 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

My problem is that my theme can't be overidden, it doesn't change all visuals, labels, titles something like that. Seems that manually changed parts not responds to new theme. So how to resolve this issue?

analitika123
Helper II
Helper II

Hello,

I would like to ask how to override a theme in Power BI. Manually changed visuals or other elements weren't updated.

Currently I don't see an official way in Power BI. You can only go through the visuals manually and reset the values to the default.

Unofficially, you could try using https://pbi.tools/ to extract your reports, then search and replace the manual changes in the text files, and then compile the files back into a Power BI file.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Hi @analitika123 ,

you can find a very good documentation about this in the Microsoft Docs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-report-themes

If you export the existing theme and import it into this theme generator, you can edit the various settings through the interface.

https://themegenerator.point-gmbh.com/en/Home

Manual changes to visuals have a higher priority than the defaults in the theme and are not overwritten by the theme change.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

So it is impossible to override, no ways to overwrite? So what workaround coud be done? I tried to edit the JSON by adding a visual parameters and after importing theme nothing changed related with visuals etc. So changing JSON can't solve my problem?

analitika123
Helper II
Helper II

Hello,

I have an issue, when I import a theme in Power BI, it changes not all styles, just that which were not changed manually before. Is possible that imported theme will change everything as defined? Do I need to add more paramteres to JSON file of theme or are other ways?

@analitika123 , What you have changed manually will not change. Try to use the set to default in those visuals or try to use format painter from the changed visual to unchanged visual and try

Also I changed visuals in power bi and saved a theme. Then I imported a theme in other pbix file and saw that no changes happened. So what is a problem?

I have tried to use format painter to unchanged but it didn't help because visual didn't change, style remains same.

Analitika
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hello,

I would like to ask how to make overidding in theme. I tried prepared theme in Power BI but changed part which were not changed manually. Some parts of dashboards changed some didn't change. So how to  resolve this issue?

Here is JSON code. But seems missing visuals, labels, title attributes. So how to add it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.