Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kaymo

Relating Fields to a Parent Field in Visuals.

Hi,

I am using DevOps to manage a project, and I want to build out a Power BI Dashboard that shows the Epics that are under the current sprint, and the issues and tasks that are in the current sprint. However, when I select an Epic on the Power BI report, I only want the tasks associated with that Epic to appear. I've made some example data with visuals below. Keep in mind these are made up titles.

This is my data. In this example, you can see that item 4 (find a good storage folder) is a task under the item 1 epic (Store Files).

Kaymo_0-1686145125275.png

In my visual I have all the epics in a table and all the issues and tasks in another table.

Kaymo_1-1686145241400.png

I want to be able to click on "Share Files" in the This Week's Epics table, and the only issues and task that appear are those related to "Share Files." So only "Find a good storage folder" and "Move files to folder" would be the only tasks to show in This Week's issues and tasks table when "Share Files" is selected in the This Week's Epics table. 

I hope all this makes sense. I'm somewhat new to Power BI, but I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kaymo,

I'd like to suggest you use path function to analyze the parent child fields to get the relationship map. Then you can write a measure formula to use correspond path string to lookup raw table records and return tag to use on ‘visual level filter’ to filter visual records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kaymo,

I'd like to suggest you use path function to analyze the parent child fields to get the relationship map. Then you can write a measure formula to use correspond path string to lookup raw table records and return tag to use on ‘visual level filter’ to filter visual records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.