Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bhalicki
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI table with icon and link to another page (without drilldown)

Hi all,

Is it possible to add a link (with a standard or custom icon) to a table that links to another page in a report?  Essentially the same as the right-click and drilldown option, but implemented as a column on a table.

bhalicki_0-1687247624378.png

Kind regards,

Ben.

6 REPLIES 6
ksenijaplancak

Hi @bhalicki 

Did you manage to find solution for this topic?

Thank you.

Hi @ksenijaplancak ,

Unfortunately not.  The only way I could find to do this resulted in a new tab opening in the browser, which isn't very user-friendly.

By the way, I have just created an idea to open-source the code for standard visuals.  Let the community fix these issues!  Please vote: https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=bc091e4b-37fc-ee11-a73c-6045bd849d02

Kind regards,

Ben.

bhalicki
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @vs_7 ,

Thanks for your reply.

Would you mind sharing a sample PBIX please?  I can't find some of the options you are referring to and thought for a link to show as a link (rather than text) it had to be appended with http://?

Kind regards,

Ben.

Hi @bhalicki

Were you able to resolve this? I have a similar issue - need a link or something to get to another page in the same report.  

Hi @fish_guy_01 ,

Unfortunately not.  I think the best you could do is link to another page, but it would always open the new page in a new tab, which is less than ideal.

I wish MS would release the source for their standard visualisations... there are so many shortcomings which could be resolved much quicker with the help of the development community 😉

Cheers,

Ben.

vs_7
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @bhalicki ,

Try below steps

Yes, it is possible to add a link to a table in Power BI that navigates to another page in the report. Here's how you can achieve this:

1. Create a new column in your table: In Power BI Desktop, open the report containing the table, go to the "Fields" pane, and select the table you want to add the link to. Right-click on the table and choose "New Column" from the context menu.

2. Define the link column: In the formula bar, enter the following DAX formula to create the link column:

css
  1. Link = "<a href='[PageName]' title='Click to navigate'>" & [ColumnName] & "</a>"

Replace [PageName] with the name of the target page you want to link to within the report. Replace [ColumnName] with the appropriate column in your table that will be displayed as the clickable link.

2. Configure column properties: With the new link column selected, go to the "Modeling" tab in the ribbon and adjust the column properties as follows:

• Set the "Data type" to "Web URL"
    • Set the "Default Summarization" to "Don't summarize"
  3. Enable URL icon: To display an icon for the link, click on the drop-down arrow next to the column name in the "Fields" pane, and choose "Column Tools" > "Formatting" > "Web URL Icon." You can select a standard or custom icon to represent the link.

4. Format the table: Select the table visual on the report canvas and go to the "Visualizations" pane. In the "Table" section, enable "Allow URLs" to activate the link functionality.

Now, when you view the report, the table column will display the data as clickable links. Clicking on the link will navigate to the specified page within the report. The link column will appear with the configured icon, if selected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.