Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

S-Wald
Regular Visitor

PowerBI-Jupyter widget does not render in Jupyter Lab (only Jupyter Notebook)

Greetings--

I've had success running the powerbiclient embedding in a Jupyter notebook lauched via the old-fashioned "jupyter notebook" server but cannot get this same notebook to run when launched from Jupyter Lab. I have followed to the letter the special instructions for installing powerbiclient in Jupyter Lab found on the code repository here: https://github.com/microsoft/powerbi-jupyter 

I have executed these instructions in both existing conda environments and brand new ones. Furthermore, I've tried to add a more explicit widget installation command specifying the powerbi widget: 

jupyter labextension install @jupyter-widgets/jupyterlab-manager powerbi-jupyter-client

as well as this variation, both of which successfully execute from an Anaconda command prompt (in Windows 10):

jupyter labextension install powerbi-jupyter-client

After these commands, the extension shows as installed and enabled in Jupyter Lab:

SWald_0-1624394049859.png

But whenever I finally run the cell to render the report, it returns the error: "Error displaying widget: model not found", which is a common error in Jupyter Lab for widgets that are not installed (not just for the powerbiclient widget).

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

S-Wald

2 REPLIES 2
gbrault

My assumption is that jupyter lab version is not in synch with the power-bi widget.

I was not able, looking to the github site to find the version power-bi widget is supporting.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @S-Wald ,

Please review the content in the following links, hope they can help you resolve the problem.

Widgets dont display in jupyter lab (check the post from adhg)

Install nodeJS (yep, the docs explicitly mentioned that). So for me what worked was:
1. Install nodeJS (https://nodejs.org/en/)
2. pip install ipywidgets
3. jupyter nbextension enable --py widgetsnbextension
4. jupyter labextension install @jupyter-widgets/jupyterlab-manager
5. (may need to restart your lab)

Help on jupyter lab –no-browser where widgets, ipyturtle do not render  (check the solution from robfatland)

How to get ipywidgets working in Jupyter Lab? 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.