Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vjspbi

Power Bi Embeded with Workspace isolation

Hi - 
We have a SAS application, having multiple customers with their own database hosted onprim. Trying to utilize Power BI capabilities, by embedding Power BI reports within the SAS app. Because each of the customers have their own DB, Work space isolation works best.

But my question is how to create a process  or develop the reports, so that we don't have to deploy the reports to each and every workspace. It would be ideal if we can deploy the report to One workspace, and all the customers can consume them ? What is the security setup to ensure that reports only access their respective datasets, gateways etc .

Apprecaite suggestions or any Videos. Thank YOu 

3 REPLIES 3
MattCalderwood
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @vjspbi 

Have you seen the embedded wiki on dynamic bindings? https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Dynamic-Binding 

If your customers all use the same reports - but have different data-models (matching in structure) - then this option might work for you.  This would allow 1 set of reports to switch between multiple models in the same workspace

Hopefully this is what you are after.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think there's a way to create one report that all users use. That would be incredibly useful, but in embedded I don't think it's possible unless you're doing a multi-tenant build where everone shares a dataset).

The other possibility is a template app. It allows users to connect to their own data using a single report template. BUT, it doesn't allow for on-prem connections (probably because of the complexity of dealing with gateways). 

I can do a multitenant setup where each one connects to its own dataset; but I would like to avoid deploying the reports to each and every tenant workspace, which will be a huge maintanance issues keeping everything in sync across all workspaces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.