Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Spock-Neurons
Frequent Visitor

Moving large set of tables into power bi

I have a large set of tables in sql database approx 300 tables with possible between 10 GB to 25 GB and I want to provide a dashboard for someone else in department to these databases. We cannot allow them have access to the sql server. I tried query or manually selecting the tables, but the process freezes everytime. Any suggestion to help with this issue? I found you can use some python scripts or something.

3 REPLIES 3
Spock-Neurons
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the link but any idea on how to automate the process? Also quickly skimming the link it does not seems to address how these 300 tables can be imported into power bi without running out session cache

Fundamentally a Power BI dataset behaves like a SSAS Tabular instance. You can apply all the scripts and automation that you are used to from SSAS, with the DMV queries and the XMLA partition management etc.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We cannot allow them have access to the sql server

Not even read acess? 

Advanced incremental refresh and real-time data with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Micr...

Take special note when they talk about bootstrapping.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.