Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Issues with the API: Items - Get Report Definition

Hi,

I have been using a lot of the API's from Power BI, and with great luck.

Now I'm creating some cool stuff by using Log Analytics, and one of the things I get from Log Analytics is the VisualID. To connect VisualID to the correct Report page in a report I need to find this in the report.json file. This is something I can get with the Get Report Definition API.

But, when I try to use this API it returns this error message:

"errorCode": "BadRequest",
"message": "Unable to process the operation due to an error in the request"

As you can see the doc says its a POST, but no body as I can see. I have tried to use GET as well, but no luck.
When I hit the TRY IT button it works, so that is really strange.

Someone else been in the same situation and can help out?

Br
Marius 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

I tried to copy the token from "Try It" page of the documentation, and then it works.

I reviewd access to the SPN and found out I needed to grant some more access. Now everything works 🙂

Cheers
Marius

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

I tried to copy the token from "Try It" page of the documentation, and then it works.

I reviewd access to the SPN and found out I needed to grant some more access. Now everything works 🙂

Cheers
Marius

tharunkumarRTK
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@mariussve1 

I ran a POST call from Power BI and it is working, Follow the below snippet and you should be able to run

let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("
https://api.fabric.microsoft.com/v1/workspaces/<workspaceId>/reports/<reportId>/getDefinition",[Headers=[Authorization="Bearer <Bearer Token>",#"Content-Type" = "application/json" ], Content=Json.FromValue([])]  ))
in
Source

dont forget to include your report id, workspsce id and bearer token. 

If the post helps please give a thumbs up

If it solves your issue, please accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tharun

Hi,

I will try from Power Query. Are you able to run the request from Postman?

br

Marius

AmosHersch
Employee
Employee

Hi @mariussve1 ,

Did you try calling the API for the same report from the "Try It" page of the documentation Items - Get Report Definition - REST API (Report) | Microsoft Learn ?

If it returns an error, can you please paste here and response headers and body?

Hi, when I use the "try it" button it works, so kt does not give any errors then. Only when I use postman

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.