Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Log4TurtleShell
Frequent Visitor

How to get and set parameters on an Embedded Paginated Report

Hi all,

I have embedded reports and paginated reports in our website. For the regular reports I set up a bookmarking system using the powerbi-client javascript library to capture and apply bookmarks. I am trying to do something similar for paginated reports. I understand that currently paginated reports are much more limited than regular reports. There is no bookmarking functionality or client-side events for embedded paginated reports, so I am trying to find another way.

I have a paginated report with about 10 drop downs and one radio button. I want to give users the ability to save their selections and reapply them. I cannot get a users selected parameters with javascript because the parameters are inside the embedded iframe and  same-origin policy forbids it.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is this feature on the roadmap to make paginated reports more feature complete like regular reports?

Is there a way to send parameter selections with the API request to get the embedded report? I am still looking for a way to do this. If I can do that, then I can probably hide all of the report parameters, and create a UI for the users to select parameters so that my application has control of all the parameters. Of course, I would rather find a simpler solution, but this is my best idea at the moment.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: It may be helpful to know this is an embed for your customers (app owns data) scenario using an A sku and a Service Principal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Log4TurtleShell
Frequent Visitor

EDIT: It appears the preferred way to pass these parameters is via the parameterValues property of IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration. However, it seems IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration is not importable from powerbi-client...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/embed-paginated-report

EDIT2: IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration is importable from powerbi-client.models.

private _paginatedReportConfig: models.IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration = {
        type: 'report',
        id: '',
        embedUrl: undefined,
        tokenType: models.TokenType.Embed,
        accessToken: '',
        parameterValues: [
            { name: 'StartDate', value: '05/01/2023' },
            { name: 'EndDate', value: '05/22/2023' },
            { name: 'OtherParam', value: '86' },
        ],
        settings: {
            commands: {
                parameterPanel: {
                    enabled: this.showParams,
                },
            },
        },
    };

ORIGINAL:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/parameters/pass-report-parameter-url

I found one solution, passing parameters as query parameters in the EmbedUrl. I need to confirm that their is a way to disable the parameters section of the paginated report. I think it can be done by hiding all the params in Report Builder or maybe with a client-side option.

Below is some basic code appending 3 parameters to the EmbedUrl.

var paginatedReport = pbiClient.Reports.GetReportInGroup(workspaceId, paginatedReportId);

paginatedReport.EmbedUrl += "&rp:StartDate=05%2F01%2F2023";
paginatedReport.EmbedUrl += "&rp:EndDate=05%2F22%2F2023";
paginatedReport.EmbedUrl += "&rp:OtherParameter=99";

var tokenRequest = new GenerateTokenRequestV2(
	reports: new List<GenerateTokenRequestV2Report>() { new GenerateTokenRequestV2Report(paginatedReportId) },
	datasets: !string.IsNullOrEmpty(paginatedReport.DatasetId) ? new List<GenerateTokenRequestV2Dataset> { new GenerateTokenRequestV2Dataset(paginatedReport.DatasetId) } : null,
	targetWorkspaces: new List<GenerateTokenRequestV2TargetWorkspace>() { new GenerateTokenRequestV2TargetWorkspace(workspaceId) },
	identities: effectiveIdentities
);

pbiClient.EmbedToken.GenerateToken(tokenRequest);

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Log4TurtleShell
Frequent Visitor

EDIT: It appears the preferred way to pass these parameters is via the parameterValues property of IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration. However, it seems IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration is not importable from powerbi-client...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/embed-paginated-report

EDIT2: IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration is importable from powerbi-client.models.

private _paginatedReportConfig: models.IPaginatedReportLoadConfiguration = {
        type: 'report',
        id: '',
        embedUrl: undefined,
        tokenType: models.TokenType.Embed,
        accessToken: '',
        parameterValues: [
            { name: 'StartDate', value: '05/01/2023' },
            { name: 'EndDate', value: '05/22/2023' },
            { name: 'OtherParam', value: '86' },
        ],
        settings: {
            commands: {
                parameterPanel: {
                    enabled: this.showParams,
                },
            },
        },
    };

ORIGINAL:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/parameters/pass-report-parameter-url

I found one solution, passing parameters as query parameters in the EmbedUrl. I need to confirm that their is a way to disable the parameters section of the paginated report. I think it can be done by hiding all the params in Report Builder or maybe with a client-side option.

Below is some basic code appending 3 parameters to the EmbedUrl.

var paginatedReport = pbiClient.Reports.GetReportInGroup(workspaceId, paginatedReportId);

paginatedReport.EmbedUrl += "&rp:StartDate=05%2F01%2F2023";
paginatedReport.EmbedUrl += "&rp:EndDate=05%2F22%2F2023";
paginatedReport.EmbedUrl += "&rp:OtherParameter=99";

var tokenRequest = new GenerateTokenRequestV2(
	reports: new List<GenerateTokenRequestV2Report>() { new GenerateTokenRequestV2Report(paginatedReportId) },
	datasets: !string.IsNullOrEmpty(paginatedReport.DatasetId) ? new List<GenerateTokenRequestV2Dataset> { new GenerateTokenRequestV2Dataset(paginatedReport.DatasetId) } : null,
	targetWorkspaces: new List<GenerateTokenRequestV2TargetWorkspace>() { new GenerateTokenRequestV2TargetWorkspace(workspaceId) },
	identities: effectiveIdentities
);

pbiClient.EmbedToken.GenerateToken(tokenRequest);

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.