Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mat_P

How to get a tables list from datasets published with Power Bi Desktop

Hello,

I would like to extract the tables list from datasets that are published on Power Bi Service that were generated by Power Bi Desktop. You can see them in the Power BI Service UI when you go to a specific dataset and click on "Show tables".

I have tried to use the Power BI rest API, the  Get-PowerBITable to extract the list of tables that are included in a dataset. ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoftpowerbimgmt.data/get-powerbitable?view=p... )

However, I get a message that says it can't find the table. "Get-PowerBITable: Operation returned an invalid status code 'NotFound' "

To make sure it's not an access rights issue I asked a colleague who has a Global Administrator role to try the same procedure and he gets the same message.

Is there anything I'm missing?

If not, do you have any idea how we could get the list of tables in another way?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mat_P ,

Please review the following threads which has the similar requirement with yours, hope they can help you.

Get Table information from dataset Programmatically (check the last post from @Steve_S )

yingyinr_2-1645427779503.png

Export a list of data source TABLES from a dataset  (check the post from @bhavikb )

yingyinr_1-1645427721221.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TMJForrester
Frequent Visitor

Reopening this thread since I was also having trouble with this. The new INFO DAX functions should now be able to help with this. To use this in a Power BI REST API call, you can use the Execute Queries API and the INFO.TABLES() function to get a list of tables in your dataset.

DAX query view introduces new INFO DAX functions | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mat_P ,

Please review the following threads which has the similar requirement with yours, hope they can help you.

Get Table information from dataset Programmatically (check the last post from @Steve_S )

yingyinr_2-1645427779503.png

Export a list of data source TABLES from a dataset  (check the post from @bhavikb )

yingyinr_1-1645427721221.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.