Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hilti API

Dear members

I'm looking for help for getting a token for the Hilti-API ON!Track. On the homepage of hilti, there is the specification for postman, but there is no way I'm able to write the M-code properly. Here you can find the specifciation: https://unite.ontrack3.hilti.com/developer/guides/confedit . I have ClientID, ClientSecret, Username and Password. Can somebody help me?

Many thanks

Jimmy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello

i was now able to make Power Query work to access the Hilti App. I will post the code used here, if somebody has the same problem

let
    client_id = "Client_ID",
    client_secret = "Client_Secret",
    token_uri = "https://cloudsso.hilti.com/hc/token", 
    username = "UserName",
    password = "Password",
    scope = "HC.Request.AllScopes",
    requestPayload = [
        username = username,
        password = password,
        grant_type = "password",
        scope = scope
    ],
    requestHeaders = [
        #"Content-Type" = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded",
        #"Authorization" = "Basic " & Binary.ToText(Text.ToBinary(client_id & ":" & client_secret), BinaryEncoding.Base64)
    ],
    tokenResponse = Json.Document(
        Web.Contents(
            token_uri,
            [
                Content = Text.ToBinary(Uri.BuildQueryString(requestPayload)),
                Headers = requestHeaders,
                ManualStatusHandling = {400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 500}
            ]
        )
    )
in
    tokenResponse

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Martin_D
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jimmy801 ,

Unfortunatelly, Power BI does not support the OAuth Client Credential authentication out of the box. 

If you only want to get data into Power BI Desktop (not refresh in the service), then this article is a good starting point how to implement this in Power Query, but it might not work with scheduled refresh: https://pbi-guy.com/2023/03/25/connect-with-power-bi-to-the-power-bi-rest-api-with-a-service-princip...

If you want a scheduled refresh in the Power BI service, then you can implement a custom connector (might be worth sharing the idea of providing one with Hilti). This might be a good starting point https://jussiroine.com/2019/02/building-a-custom-connector-for-power-bi-that-supports-oauth2-to-visu... or the Microsoft documentation.

If you want to use scheduled refresh, I would try copying the required data to a database or datalake using Azure Data Factory and loading it from there into Power BI because Azure Data Factory supports OAuth Client Credential login out of the box. But it's a bit special that the Hilti API requires you to provide ClientID and ClientSecret and Username and Password in one token request and this is not supported in Azure Data Factory. So either it works with ClientID and ClientSecret only, or you need to implement the custom connector, or any custom script (PowerQuery, Python, C#, ...) that gets your data from the Hilti API to an intermediate storage of your choice (datalake, database, SharePoint, ...).

BR

Martin

github.pnglinkedin.png

Hello

i was now able to make Power Query work to access the Hilti App. I will post the code used here, if somebody has the same problem

let
    client_id = "Client_ID",
    client_secret = "Client_Secret",
    token_uri = "https://cloudsso.hilti.com/hc/token", 
    username = "UserName",
    password = "Password",
    scope = "HC.Request.AllScopes",
    requestPayload = [
        username = username,
        password = password,
        grant_type = "password",
        scope = scope
    ],
    requestHeaders = [
        #"Content-Type" = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded",
        #"Authorization" = "Basic " & Binary.ToText(Text.ToBinary(client_id & ":" & client_secret), BinaryEncoding.Base64)
    ],
    tokenResponse = Json.Document(
        Web.Contents(
            token_uri,
            [
                Content = Text.ToBinary(Uri.BuildQueryString(requestPayload)),
                Headers = requestHeaders,
                ManualStatusHandling = {400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 500}
            ]
        )
    )
in
    tokenResponse

Hi @Jimmy801 ,

Great solution! Did you try whether it works with scheduled refresh in the service, and did it work there as well? The concern was that your query returns a token, dynamically, i.e. potentially a new one with every refresh, and then the actual data query uses this token, which might be considered an insecure dynamic query by the Power BI service.

BR

Martin

Hello

I just needed it to connect Excel to this API - no scheduled refresh. But as you wrote, it might not be allowed in service. What would be needed to fix that? How is the process to establish a better query?
BR Jimmy

For Excel the solution is totally fine. For Power BI scheduled refresh, the next step would either be to implement a custom connector or to put the API access into an external script that puts the data in e.g. a datalake for Power BI to fetch it from there.

At least the Hilti API is definitely a good test case for how universal an ETL tool is.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.