Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

akershaw95
Frequent Visitor

GetDatasetUsersAsAdmin - How long is data retained?

Hi All, 

I'm using the PowerBI Rest API (GetDatasetUsersAsAdmin) to extract the list of users/ groups which have access to datasets published to the powerBI service.

Using this information I then remove some users/ groups from the App audience, how long do I need to wait until the Rest API results are updated? 

Right now I'm deleteing groups/ users from audiences but I'm still seeing them as having access in the API query results. 

Many Thanks,

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
akershaw95
Frequent Visitor

With the help from MS Support, managed to conclude that removinig users from an App/ Audience doesn't remove their underlying datasets permissions. These have to remove sperately within the dataset settings, when this is done the no longer appear in the "GetDatasetUsersAsAdmin" response data. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
akershaw95
Frequent Visitor

With the help from MS Support, managed to conclude that removinig users from an App/ Audience doesn't remove their underlying datasets permissions. These have to remove sperately within the dataset settings, when this is done the no longer appear in the "GetDatasetUsersAsAdmin" response data. 

Ah, right, should have read the original premise more carefully.  This is why we always recommend to only share via the app, never via the workspace.

Yep much of the issue was from legacy use of workspaces for sharing, however, is worth noting that a user or groups datasets/ schematic model permissions won't automatically be removed if they are removed from an app. 

akershaw95_0-1720544567790.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

usually within 15 minutes, but it can take up to 24 hrs for the changes to sync through the Entra ID.

Thank you for your repsonse - what is strange is I'm still seeing users and groups which have been removed from the app audiences and row level security rules.  

I would call that a bug.  If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Thanks for your help - i'll try raising a ticket!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.