Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JAnder
Helper I
Helper I

Get name of visual a user clicked on with JS

Is there a way to retrieve the name of a visual on a report from a user click. I know i can call `report.getPages()` and then on a page do `page.getVisuals()` but ideally i would like to just pick up the visual name from a click, maybe a custom context menu option that could then pass it as a parameter to a function

To clarify the Playground shows the below code, but it does not show you how to get the VisualContainer4 value. That code assumes you know the visual name....

try {
    const pages = await report.getPages();

// Retrieve the active page.
    let page = pages.filter(function (page) {
        return page.isActive
    })[0];

const visuals = await page.getVisuals();

// Retrieve the target visual.
    let visual = visuals.filter(function (visual) {
        return visual.name === "VisualContainer4";
    })[0];

const filters = await visual.getFilters();
    console.log(filters);
}
catch (errors) {
    console.log(errors);
}
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JAnder
Helper I
Helper I

In case anyone looks at this in the future, you can get the visual name throught the event parameter.

there is a visualClicked event you can subscribe to which then provides the visual details including the name.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/handle-events#events-and-their-res...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JAnder
Helper I
Helper I

In case anyone looks at this in the future, you can get the visual name throught the event parameter.

there is a visualClicked event you can subscribe to which then provides the visual details including the name.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/javascript/api/overview/powerbi/handle-events#events-and-their-res...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.