Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gotters
Helper II
Helper II

Export Report pbix via API - after XMLA

We deploy reports through our client workspaces via the REST API and semantic models via Tabular Editor and the XMLA endpoint.

We need to provide the ability for our users who view the embedded reports through our own portal to download the pbix files for the reports.

Currently if we navigate to the report in PBI Service the report can be downloaded with a live connection.

As a result I would expect the REST API to export report also be available. However when calling it against the report I get the response below.
The docs don't mention a limitation of downloading a pbix via API just because it was created by xmla endpoint (ie the semantic model). The only mentioned limitation is 
"For .pbix reports, exporting a report with a Power BI service live connection isn't supported after calling Rebind Report."
Is there something I am missing that I can do to make this download available via PBI?
If its simply not supported do we know if MS are going to make it available?
If the answers to the above are all no - is there any other way I can keep the user in our portal with an embedded report and somehow deliver a pbix file to them?  (I assume there is no way for the embedded report to include a download file option).

Thanks

{
    "error": {
        "code": "ExportData_DisabledForModelModifiedByXmlaEndpoint",
        "pbi.error": {
            "code": "ExportData_DisabledForModelModifiedByXmlaEndpoint",
            "parameters": {},
            "details": [],
            "exceptionCulprit": 1
        }
    }
}

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You may want to start working on your plan B...

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

So no plan to support this in the near future, even with upcoming Fabric changes? if its available via the UI in PBI service why couldnt it be made available via the REST API?

Only if enough users vote for it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.