Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CoulterJames2
Frequent Visitor

Error Connecting to Fabric SQL Endpoint using SSMS and Azure Data Studio

I have signed up for a Fabric trial and wanted to connect to a Lakehouse SQL Analytics endpoint through SQL Server Management Studio on my local machine but I get the "pre-login handshake" error as follows: 

CoulterJames2_1-1713534246124.png

I understood that the solution to this issue was to tick the "Trust Server Certificate" box on the connection dialog, which I have done:

CoulterJames2_2-1713534357105.png

I have also specified the database name in the Connection Properties tab:

CoulterJames2_3-1713534584641.png

I get the same error messages when connecting to the Lakehouse from Azure Data Studio.

I believe that you are meant to be able to connect to a SQL endpoint in Fabric from client tools such as SSMS and ADS, so why isn't this working?

2 REPLIES 2
CoulterJames2
Frequent Visitor

I have a colleague who can connect to a SQL endpoint in Fabric using a trial subscription and he has version 18.11 of SSMS whereas I am using SSMS version 20.1 and I cannot connect. So it is not due to a limitation in the Fabric trial, it must be due to an authentication or configuration error elsewhere.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @CoulterJames2,

Have you tried or test with a real fabric license instead of trial versions?

AFAIK, trial version only provided part of features for user to do test with fabric features. It means in this version it may not active and generated all the backend configuration/proprieties and correspond contents that similar like the general version.  For the backend configuration/properties, they may affect the verification/authorization processing steps.

BTW, you can also take a look at the XMLA endpoint feature and how it use it if helps with your scenario:

Semantic model connectivity and management with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.