Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing a Power BI Report that has been Published to a Workspace/App | Best Practices?

Hey all,

Kind of a weird question here. When I have a PBIX file open, and I'm working through a report, I usually end up saving the PBIX file to my OneDrive, then Publishing to Power BI service. In the future, when folks ask me to change something, add something, or whatever, I'm a bit puzzled as to where I should go to edit this.

Should I use the PBIX file that I saved to my OneDrive with outdated data? Or should I go to the report in Power BI Service, and just download the PBIX with the latest data? What do you guys usually do when you need to take the report offline, update it, and publish it back out?

Again, I know this is a silly question, but would like to know how you go about doing this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I think you can edit your report view in Power BI Service.

1.png

If you want to create measure, calcualted column or use Power Query Editor, you need to edit your report in Power BI Desktop. Currently, Power BI Service doesn't support you to do this. You can download your report in Power BI Service and then edit it in Desktop, then republish this report.

Download Power BI report may have some limitation, here is the blog.

For reference: Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop

I think you can try to connect to your pbix file from your Onedrive in your workspace.

1.png

Then you can update your pbix file and reupload it into your Onedrive. Then you refresh your dataset, you will get the latest report from your Onedrive. Due to your report is from Onedrive, you don't need to configure gateway. You can use Onedrive refresh.

For reference: OneDrive refresh

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickl

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
asdasdz

Basically, the only option is to download the file from the server every time and after changes, publish it again.

Not really great.

HenriqueReis
Resolver I
Resolver I

Morning!

You can edit a Power BI report that was published,

but there are some steps to check.

1- You must have the archive in Power BI desktop, by a download in the Power BI Service or by your folders, whatever.

2- You should rename it by the same name the report's in Power BI Service.

3- You should loggin at the Power BI Desktop 

HenriqueReis_1-1645195005001.png

After that, do your updates and modifications in report, by the Power BI Desktop, and when you finish it, save and publish it on Power BI Service again, with the same name the currently report published has.

HenriqueReis_3-1645195186063.png

Select the same workspace, and when a message asks if you want to substitute the dataset, agree.

HenriqueReis_4-1645195288813.png

Now, just for make sure, open the updated report on the Power BI service, edit it, actualize the page and save.

HenriqueReis_5-1645195447620.png

Your report gonna be fixed without you need to creat a new link.

I hope I help y'all,

Bye.

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I think you can edit your report view in Power BI Service.

1.png

If you want to create measure, calcualted column or use Power Query Editor, you need to edit your report in Power BI Desktop. Currently, Power BI Service doesn't support you to do this. You can download your report in Power BI Service and then edit it in Desktop, then republish this report.

Download Power BI report may have some limitation, here is the blog.

For reference: Download a report from the Power BI service to Power BI Desktop

I think you can try to connect to your pbix file from your Onedrive in your workspace.

1.png

Then you can update your pbix file and reupload it into your Onedrive. Then you refresh your dataset, you will get the latest report from your Onedrive. Due to your report is from Onedrive, you don't need to configure gateway. You can use Onedrive refresh.

For reference: OneDrive refresh

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickl

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.