Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cpassuel
Frequent Visitor

Cannot install SSL certificate

Hello,

When I try to install SSL certificates (I had to create them manually because pbiviz --create-cert didn't worked) with pbiviz --install-cert and I recieve the following error message:

The string is missing the terminator: '.
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : TerminatorExpectedAtEndOfString

I checked on the forum and I have to clue where the error can be. Does someone already encounter this problem and how to solve it ?

PS: I'm using Windows 7 64bits.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Since you have generated a certificate you should put it to a proper directory as described here.

If pbiviz --install-cert does not work for you you can try to install a certificate manually as described here.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like there're some issues with PowerShell. What version of PowerShell is installed?

What issues did return --create-cert command?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Hello,

I'm using the version belown of PowerShell ( from $PSVersionTable.PSVersion)
Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
3      0      -1     -1

I think that the problem with pbiviz --create-cert is that %APPDATA% has space in it. Here is the error message

req: Use -help for summary.
 error  Create certificate error: { Error: Command failed: openssl  req -newkey  rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_private.key -x509  -days 180 -out C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_public.cer  -subj "/CN=localhost"
req: Use -help for summary.
    at checkExecSyncError (child_process.js:601:13)
    at execSync (child_process.js:641:13)
    at createCertFile (C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\bin\pbiviz.js:160:25)
    at Command.<anonymous> (C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\node_modules\commander\index.js:395:35)

When I try to create manualy certificates with the command line used by pbiviz and adding quotes (see below), it works ok

openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout "C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_private.key" -x509 -days 180 -out "C:\Données d'applications\cpassuello\npm\node_modules\powerbi-visuals-tools\certs\PowerBICustomVisualTest_public.cer" -subj "/CN=localhost"

May be it's the same problem with pbiviz --install-cert (space in %APPDATA%). Unfortunately I cannot change this easily, it's a corporate policy.

PS: I reverted to powerbi-visuals-tools version 1.11.3 after reading some posts but it didn't fixed the problem

PPS: I installed OpenSSL because I'm on Windows 7 but it seems to work fine.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Since you have generated a certificate you should put it to a proper directory as described here.

If pbiviz --install-cert does not work for you you can try to install a certificate manually as described here.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

I finally ended by installing certificate manually.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.