Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

LFalcon2023

Bing Maps API Authentication Error

LFalcon2023_0-1692289371389.png

Hello,

I have created a Power BI dashboard that pulls in Excel data with permit information. One of the columns is the permitted address which I've plotted on a Bing Maps visualization. To plot the addresses, I ran the address column through a Bing Maps API which converted the addresses into X,Y coordinates, then I invoked a custom function to get the coordinates plotted on the Bing Maps visualization. Everything worked great for 6 months, as I would refresh the data weekly for newly issued permits.

However, as of July 2023, evertime I try to refresh the data, I am met with this Bing Maps API Authentication error. I have tried authenticating using all 5 options on the sidebar (Anonymous, Windows, Basic, Web API, and Organization Account), but each of them fails to authenticate. When I try Web API with my Bing Maps API Key from my Dev account, I am met with another error message "A web API Key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided." I have also tried going into File -> Options and Settings -> Data Source Settings -> Global Permissions and removing each Bing Maps URL, then reconnecting, but this hasn't worked either. Does anyone have any insight on how to resolve the Bing Maps API Authentication error so that I can continue refreshing my Data.

1 REPLY 1
IoTGirl
Employee
Employee

Repost from duplicate post -> 

As this is AUTHENTICATION, have you tried using HTTPS instead of HTTP?  When you sign into your Bing Maps Portal you will see an announcement message that TLS 1.2 is now required and my assumption is that the connection for HTTP might not be secure enough to do the AUTH anymore. Also, have you tried the solution given for Solved: A web API key can only be specified when a web API... - Microsoft Fabric Community?

If the issue only occurs with larger datasets, you are likely being ratelimited by the API. Basic Keys, free evaluation accounts, get a maximum of 5-20 QPS (queries per second) while Enterprise Keys, paid accounts, get 50+QPS depending on the API.

NOTE: I am a member of the Microsoft Maps Team and not Fabric or PowerBI so I can't speak to the Power BI or Excel side of this discussion, just the Map Auth.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors