Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deanbland
Helper III
Helper III

A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Hi, 

I am trying to connect Power BI to a web api using this URL (https://api.10000ft.com/api/v1/), but when I enter the API key, I get this message: 

A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided. 

Unsure what I need to do so any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Dean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @deanbland ,

Please review the content in the following links, hope they can help you resolve the problem.

1. Get data from web error: A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Solution: 

1. Open Power BI Desktop and on the Home tab, select Get data and choose the Web option.
  2. Paste your metric query's URL into the Power BI dialog asking for the Web page URL.
  3. In the Access web content dialog, select Basic, enter your app's API key as the Username, and press Connect

2. How to specify an API key name in Excel - A web API key can only be specified when a web API key nam...

Solution: Add ApiKeyName = "ApiKey" as part of the 3 parameter of using OData.Feed

let
    Source = OData.Feed("https://localhost/odata", null, [Implementation="2.0", ApiKeyName = "ApiKey"]),
    Table_table = Source{[Name="Table",Signature="table"]}[Data]
in
    Table_table​

3. A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mmeyers
Frequent Visitor

i had to connect to my data using the web connector without authenticating, knowing that it would fail, so Power BI would build the shell of the query.  then i went into the advanced editor to updated Web.BrowserContents() to Web.Contents() which allowed me to pass the key name and value through the headers with:

let
Source = Web.Contents("https://{uri removed intentionally}", [Headers = [#"Authorization" = "Bearer {key removed intentionally}"]]),

then Power BI pulled in my data

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @deanbland ,

Please review the content in the following links, hope they can help you resolve the problem.

1. Get data from web error: A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Solution: 

1. Open Power BI Desktop and on the Home tab, select Get data and choose the Web option.
  2. Paste your metric query's URL into the Power BI dialog asking for the Web page URL.
  3. In the Access web content dialog, select Basic, enter your app's API key as the Username, and press Connect

2. How to specify an API key name in Excel - A web API key can only be specified when a web API key nam...

Solution: Add ApiKeyName = "ApiKey" as part of the 3 parameter of using OData.Feed

let
    Source = OData.Feed("https://localhost/odata", null, [Implementation="2.0", ApiKeyName = "ApiKey"]),
    Table_table = Source{[Name="Table",Signature="table"]}[Data]
in
    Table_table​

3. A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's the relevant documentation:

Web.Contents - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.