Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xli629b
Helper II
Helper II

Adding Azure B2B Direct Connect users to workspaces

I am trying to add an external service principal (from another tenant) that is enabled to access our tenancy with B2B Direct Connect to my workspace.

After enabling inbound and outbound access for this service principal in External Identities > B2B direct connect, I was able to authenticate into my tenancy with the external service principal to access the API.

However, now I need to give the external service principal access to a workspace.

Adding it manually: In the Access tab of my workspace, I can't find the external service principal in the autocomplete.

Adding it via the API: I get the following when I try to add the service principal's object ID.
https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/<groupId>/users

{
  groupUserAccessRight: "Admin",
  identifier: "<object ID for service principal>",
  principalType: "App"
}

Response:

{
  "error": {
    "code": "InvalidRequest",
    "message": "Failed to get service principal details from AAD."
  }
}

Is it possible to use the Power BI REST API with external users with B2B Direct Connect, or is there no way for Power BI to work with users that are in another tenant's directory altogether (rather than guest users).

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @xli629b,

I think you need to create a security group with common users and b2b users at first, then you can add the service principal to that security group.
After these steps, you can assign the above group as a member of the workspace that stores embedded contents to share the premissions.

Embed Power BI content in an embedded analytics application with service principal and an applicatio...

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I created a security group, but when I try to add the external B2B Direct Connect service principal to the group, it cannot be found either by object ID or by name.

xli629b_0-1649343194820.png

HI @xli629b,

I'm not so sure if this scenario is related to the limitation of b2b feature usages, perhaps you can contact azure support to confirm this.
reference link:

Azure Support Options | Microsoft Azure

Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.