Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

y5famfnatudu
Helper III
Helper III

A Deneb Visual that contains only Radio Buttons

Hello,

I have a field in a table that is called is_employee, this field is either 0 or 1. I want to create a Deneb (vega-lite) control that shows "2 radio buttons", the first is called "All", and the second is called "Employees" Selecting an option, filters the other Power BI visuals accordingly

Best regards,
Simon

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @y5famfnatudu,

Sounds like you're trying to use Deneb as a slicer? Unfortunately a custom visual can be built with functionality to either cross-filter or slice, but not both. Because slicing works very differently in the back-end to cross-filtering (you need to create your own logic to build and route filters to the main window), and because the majority of use cases for Deneb favour cross-filtering, Deneb doesn't have the functionality coded to perform slicing and it is not on the roadmap to do so, due to the aforementioned limitations with how visuals work in Power BI.

If you cannot model a solution that works with native slicers or filters in the pane, your best bet would be to develop a custom slicer visual using the visuals SDK specifically for this purpose.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

Hi @y5famfnatudu,

Deneb doesn't contain the ability to slice other visuals at all. The functionality to slice other visuals cannot exist in a custom visual if it wishes to implement cross filtering or cross highlighting.

Whether you enable or disable cross filtering for the visual you're designing in Deneb is immaterial; Deneb itself cannot change to behave as a slicer because the custom visuals framework does not allow us to change this dynamically - the capability to specify a custom visual should behave as a slicer Has to be declared and coded before it is compiled into a .pbiviz.

Similarly if you were to code a custom visual that is declared to be a slicer, this cannot be cross filtered or cross-highlighted from other visuals.

Regards,

Daniel

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @y5famfnatudu,

Sounds like you're trying to use Deneb as a slicer? Unfortunately a custom visual can be built with functionality to either cross-filter or slice, but not both. Because slicing works very differently in the back-end to cross-filtering (you need to create your own logic to build and route filters to the main window), and because the majority of use cases for Deneb favour cross-filtering, Deneb doesn't have the functionality coded to perform slicing and it is not on the roadmap to do so, due to the aforementioned limitations with how visuals work in Power BI.

If you cannot model a solution that works with native slicers or filters in the pane, your best bet would be to develop a custom slicer visual using the visuals SDK specifically for this purpose.

Regards,

Daniel

Sorry @dm-p to bother.
What if I want to use this Radio Button to slice other visuals, and not concerned with cross-filter. Would that still be possible? That would be so much appreciated.

Regards, Simon

Hi @y5famfnatudu,

Deneb doesn't contain the ability to slice other visuals at all. The functionality to slice other visuals cannot exist in a custom visual if it wishes to implement cross filtering or cross highlighting.

Whether you enable or disable cross filtering for the visual you're designing in Deneb is immaterial; Deneb itself cannot change to behave as a slicer because the custom visuals framework does not allow us to change this dynamically - the capability to specify a custom visual should behave as a slicer Has to be declared and coded before it is compiled into a .pbiviz.

Similarly if you were to code a custom visual that is declared to be a slicer, this cannot be cross filtered or cross-highlighted from other visuals.

Regards,

Daniel

Tank you Daniel, for your clarification, I appreciate it so much

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.