Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

why dimension table

Hi, 

I have studied Power BI for some time,but I don't have much practical experience. I'm a bit confused about the use of dimension table. in my work sometimes all the HR data (employee data, compensaiton data, job/organization info) are stored in one big flat table. Since I can use these fields in slicers and filter functions already, why should  create seperate dimension table (e.g., employee table , job table)?

Can someone give me a few examples to show the advantage of reference table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Each dimension should relate to a specific Domain, eg all customer attributes would belong in the Customer Dimension, all Vendor attributes would belong in the Vendor Dimension, all date attributes would belong in the Date Dimensions .... Each Dimension would then join back to the fact on the unique key per dimension member. If you find that you are creating many single attribute dimensions you should try to find logical groups and derive a dimension key from the unique combinations.

Hope that Helps,

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
richbenmintz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

Please have a read of this excellent article by @AlbertoFerrarihttps://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-importance-of-star-schemas-in-power-bi/ , He and Marco Russo are two of the best when it comes to all things DAX and Power BI.

Richard

I hope this helps,
Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks! So I understand if I need to use multiple filters from the same table, the best practice is to create  seperate dimension tables.

the next question is how many dimension tables I should create? I have seen people create lots of dimenstion tables, each table corresponds to one filter. The problem is that will generate a complicated relationship schema. The other solution, I guess is to create only a few dimension table  (e.g., put country, job code, company name in one reference table), however, the reference table should contain all the logic combinations of country-job-company. Is that correct?

Hi @Anonymous,

Each dimension should relate to a specific Domain, eg all customer attributes would belong in the Customer Dimension, all Vendor attributes would belong in the Vendor Dimension, all date attributes would belong in the Date Dimensions .... Each Dimension would then join back to the fact on the unique key per dimension member. If you find that you are creating many single attribute dimensions you should try to find logical groups and derive a dimension key from the unique combinations.

Hope that Helps,

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I hope this helps,
Richard

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

If your model consists of only one data table then you do necessarily need separate dimension tables.  However, consider if you wanted to have payroll data and sales data in the same report and show both by employee.  This is where having an employee table attached to both the sales data and payroll data is needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.