Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToNo87
Regular Visitor

using the Format on a datetime gives error for not using max, count or sum

Hi,

I have the following DAX measure Year-Month-Setup = FORMAT('Setup'[EventTime], "YYYY-MM") the EventTime is in a DateTime Format, I can have multiple entires on a day. I want to make a reference to this by creating a new measure that just gives me the YYYY and MM so I can add in the one of my graphs to split the axis.

This is the error I am getting:

A single value for column 'EventTime' in table 'Setup' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, that I can understand, however doing min or max will only give me one value, I can have multiple months of data?

EDIT: I changed it to a column and it solved the problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You're adding this as a measure, which means you have to have some kind of aggregation. FORMAT just formats a single result. You're giving it a column reference, which is not a single result. You'll need to nest something inside that format to get a single result. FORMAT(MIN('Setup'[EventTime]), "YYY-MM") or something like that.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Yes, that I can understand, however doing min or max will only give me one value, I can have multiple months of data?

EDIT: I changed it to a column and it solved the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.