Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

limcheehang

Is Power BI a cloud based BI Tools

Dear all, 

We are currently using Qlikview as a BI tools and trying to explore to this Power BI tools. But i would like to find out is Power BI a cloud base tools ? Meaning even our report is connect to local SQL server? The data will be uploaded to cloud once we publish our report? 

As our company don't allow the company information on cloud. What we need is a local BI tools that help us in preparing the report and share among the local office user only. 

Hope someone can share more. Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi limcheehang,

Power BI service is cloud based, which is built on Microsoft Azure.

And security is as always the most important part that Microsoft keep focus on, check the article below for more information regarding Power Bi security:

Microsoft Power BI Security

For On-Premises Environment, currently the product team is working on this part, see:

Power BI & SSRS 2016 in an On-Premises Environment

Also an idea for reference: PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

Adding Power BI Desktop support for SQL server Reporting Services 2016.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

View solution in original post

To add to the options, you can use a Pyramid Analytics Server to publish reports as a replacement for publishing to the Power BI Service.

Also, SQL Server 2016 has the ability to present PBIX files (created in Desktop) to present out to users. In the near future, this will not just open up Power BI Desktop when you click on one of these as it does today but actually render the report via SSRS web site.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi limcheehang,

Power BI service is cloud based, which is built on Microsoft Azure.

And security is as always the most important part that Microsoft keep focus on, check the article below for more information regarding Power Bi security:

Microsoft Power BI Security

For On-Premises Environment, currently the product team is working on this part, see:

Power BI & SSRS 2016 in an On-Premises Environment

Also an idea for reference: PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

Adding Power BI Desktop support for SQL server Reporting Services 2016.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@limcheehang Yes Power bi is a cloud-based offering ie you access and share your reports / dashboards via power bi service but good thing about PBI is that it caters for very basic need of organisation to not store its data in the cloud. With Power BI connecting to SQL Server you have option of using DirectQuery feature which means your data is not imported and stored in PBI cloud but it stays on-premise on your servers and you're still able to access that data via reports in power bi service. Find out more about DQ feature here.

limcheehang

Dear all, 

We are currently using Qlikview as a BI tools and trying to explore to this Power BI tools. But i would like to find out is Power BI a cloud base tools ? Meaning even our report is connect to local SQL server? The data will be uploaded to cloud once we publish our report? 

As our company don't allow the company information on cloud. What we need is a local BI tools that help us in preparing the report and share among the local office user only. 

Hope someone can share more. Thank you

To add to the options, you can use a Pyramid Analytics Server to publish reports as a replacement for publishing to the Power BI Service.

Also, SQL Server 2016 has the ability to present PBIX files (created in Desktop) to present out to users. In the near future, this will not just open up Power BI Desktop when you click on one of these as it does today but actually render the report via SSRS web site.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi there

Further to add, what you can do is using the On-Premise Gateway is to configure it, so that you can use the direct query. In doing it in this way, all your data will always remain on your premises.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @limcheehang,

Power BI Online is definitely Cloud based. However, there are a few workaround solutions:

1. Use Power BI Desktop to share reports internally that use on premise databases. Within Power BI you can create a template which you can share with users. When they open the template, it will automatically grab data from your on premise sources WITHOUT publishing it to the cloud.

2. You can use the Microsoft Enterprise Gateway with Power BI Cloud. What this will do is only present data from your on premise sources as required by the user. Think of it as a presentation layer. The data itself is not permanently stored on the Cloud.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan 

Do I have to enable the Microsoft cloud to have access to my data. My company definately does NOT want ANY data leaving our firewalls.

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.