Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BarryM
Helper II
Helper II

undefinedPBI matrix table formatting

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am having issues recreating a matrix that I created 6 months ago. Due to major changes in the DB I had to recreate the PBI file.

This is the original PBI file

oldMatrix.JPG

It has 1 sub total per cost type and a Grand total at the bottom. I did not need to create any measures or write any special queries to accomplish this.

This is the new table, I have duplicated all of the formatting from the original in the new matrix but it is still showing totals for every row and I cannot figure out why this is happening. Any ideas on how to correct this will be appreciated.

This is the 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @BarryM 

Thanks for your quick response !

According to your description, you want  just the First Column show SubTotal and Total in the buttom.

I test it in my side , i think you can try to this .
We can create a another calcualted column like this:

Column = RANKX('Table','Table'[Cost_type],,ASC,Dense)

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1688711789724.png

Then we can put this Column as the first of the field in Matrix's Rows.

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1688711836266.png

Then we can close all the "Text wrap" in the format:

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1688711872221.png

And then we can hide the first column in the visual:

vyueyunzhmsft_3-1688711895329.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BarryM
Helper II
Helper II

This is the new matrix

NewMatrix.JPG

Hi , @BarryM 

According to your description, the matrix visual show the every row subtotal  and you do not want to show them.

This is my test data:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1688609475666.png

I test it in my side , i think you can try to open the "Per Row Level" to configure which row subtotal you want to display.

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1688609539847.png

You can close the row subtotal which you do not want to display in the Matrix visual:

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1688609571590.pngvyueyunzhmsft_3-1688609589013.png

For more information, you can refer to :
Create a matrix visual in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya,

Thank You for the reply. I have tried that and it did not provide the results I required. Thed First screenshot of the original matrix shows only a total for the 1st column CostType and a grand total at the very bottom for each fiscal year column. The secpnd screen shot is displaying a total for every column in the Matrix which is not correct as only the cost type should have a monitary value for each fiscal year as the first image does regardless of how many items are selected from each of the 3 slicers. I did it once but I am unable to recreate it. It may have to do with the table that the information is pulled from. I think I need to break it up so that there is only 1 reference to any repating values for each BR item. But thanks again for your reply.

Hi , @BarryM 

Thanks for your quick response !

According to your description, you want  just the First Column show SubTotal and Total in the buttom.

I test it in my side , i think you can try to this .
We can create a another calcualted column like this:

Column = RANKX('Table','Table'[Cost_type],,ASC,Dense)

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1688711789724.png

Then we can put this Column as the first of the field in Matrix's Rows.

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1688711836266.png

Then we can close all the "Text wrap" in the format:

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1688711872221.png

And then we can hide the first column in the visual:

vyueyunzhmsft_3-1688711895329.png

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Thanks for your assistance, I managed to find the solution. The problem was with the changes that MS had made to the PBI formatting interface. In previous versions it was very clear where and how you needed to turn the per row subtotals on and off. In the current version we are using setting the per row level is separated into two sections that make it appear as two separate and disparate settings. I was not making the connection between the two selectors. I stumbled across these settings by happenstance while trying to implement some other solutions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.