Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

letizia
Frequent Visitor

sorting

Hello, I have a formatted measure (so a text) which I want to sort by numerical value. My issue is that I have both negative and positive value, so even if I try to use 'UNICHAR' method adding "0" and then sort them, this doesn't work because of negative values. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hello,

Instead of using the FORMAT function which returns text, have you tried dynamic format strings?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-dynamic-format-strings 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
achandelkar6

NumericalSort =
VAR NumericValue =
IF(
LEFT([FormattedMeasure], 1) = "-",
-1 * VALUE(SUBSTITUTE([FormattedMeasure], "-", "")),
VALUE([FormattedMeasure])
)
RETURN
UNICHAR(8203) & TEXT(NumericValue, "0")

UNICHAR (8203) & TEXT(NumericValue, "0") - This section adds a zero-width space using UNICHAR(8203) to ensure proper sorting. The numerical value is then converted back to text using the Text function with a specified format of "0".

Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

show me what you write, what doesn’t work for you, at least share screenshots

sorting test.png

Here, from left to right: what I want to sort, measure I use, measure I'm trying to apply

Insert this measure before positive numbers
REP(UNICHAR(8203),x).
and where are the negatives after them.
for example:
REP(UNICHAR(8203),x)&[positive]
[nigativ]&REP(UNICHAR(8203),x)
X is how many times to repeat

Thanks but doesn't work because sorting depends from the total length of the string, no matter where 'unichar' is

Can you share a file and example that would be similar to your senario?

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hello,

Instead of using the FORMAT function which returns text, have you tried dynamic format strings?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-dynamic-format-strings 

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

Hello ,thanks but I don't understand: does dynamic format string allows to treat measure as number and not as text?

Hi @letizia ,

with dynamic format string you are basically applying a format to a number but not changing its data type so it will still be treated as a number that just appears in either in percentage, currency, etc.

Hello, how can I manage blank rows using dynamic format strings? Here is like blank rows are considered as zero in sorting, and I don't want that. I want blank rows at the end (or at the beginning) sorting test.png

Hello, thank you, it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.