Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dragon1

reuse query steps

Very new to Power BI, so please forgive me if this is something simple I'm missing.

Each week I get a spreadsheet sent to me that I want to add into Power BI as a new table/data source. The spreadsheet arrives in the same poor state every week and needs the same cleanup steps each time (remove blanks, delete columns etc. etc.) Is there any way I can use the cleanup steps I created in my first query for my first import on these additional tables? In essence I'm trying to use the cleanup steps like a macro in Excel I guess.

Thanks in advance for any help Smiley Very Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Dragon1 If spreadsheet is going to have same number of columns and names just with poor data each time then in power bi desktop you can go to query editor, right click your original query and make duplicate of it. Then simply click on setting icon next to Source (first step in query) and point it to your new spreadsheet and click Refresh. This will repeat all those steps you applied previously. As said earlier if metadata of your spreadsheet hasn't changed but only data needs cleaning.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Juani08

Hello everyone,

My situation is the same as the original thread but I use Power BI service to create reports. Can I save all the visualization/query steps taken in PBI Service and then apply/reuse the for new reports with the same columns?

Thanks

Juan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Dragon1 If spreadsheet is going to have same number of columns and names just with poor data each time then in power bi desktop you can go to query editor, right click your original query and make duplicate of it. Then simply click on setting icon next to Source (first step in query) and point it to your new spreadsheet and click Refresh. This will repeat all those steps you applied previously. As said earlier if metadata of your spreadsheet hasn't changed but only data needs cleaning.

In my case it's not poor data, just formatted in the Excel sheet to look like a report, made for readability, not usability. Thanks for the advice though, that worked for me too!

@ankitpatira Is it possible to do this if I want to apply the steps to a different sheet in the same workbook? When I go to change the source it only allows me to change the primary file and does not redirect me to choose the sheet like it does when I first Get Data. Thank you.

jithu0
Frequent Visitor

@tc5pt 

In the edit queries mode,

go to the advanced editor of the table where you have done the changes and copy the steps that involves the changes.

Go to the advanced editor of the table to which you want to replicate the changes and append the codes that you copied.

The changes will be effected.

Ensure the references are correct and there are no errors after you paste the format/cleanup codes.

Is there a way that this repeated steps can run automatically?   For example, the new file comes into a folder every week and run a schedule job to pick up the file and run the "applied steps", etc...   Thanks! 

Thank you so much ankipatira. This works perfectly for what I need Smiley Very Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.