Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Memory error: Memory Allocation failure" when refresh a large size data source with screen lock

I sometime got below error return when "refresh" on a large size pibx file (~1.8GB on PIBX, over 30GB on raw data source)

"Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries..."

The whole "refresh" process needed ~2hrs, but it seem probability return memory error when i was away my PC with screen lock

but it seem no problem when i was working with my PC...  

and a "debug.log" file was found in the folder of pibx file 

debug.log - 

"[0611/160027.784:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0705/092804.140:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0707/120147.347:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0708/085610.830:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0809/141903.435:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0812/183403.637:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)"

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I do face this issue very often with my file of a similar size. And it works on reducing the data. I get it after 2.2 GB .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

do you reducing it from data source or just drop columns after import ? 

I already dropped some unused columns after import actually.

@Anonymous , I am actually reducing the data(rows) . Ideally, we should use a deployment pipeline to shift from DEV to Prod, so data get loaded in service, not in desktop, Another way is to use dataflows with a new direct query option.

But I think both are premium features.

My option are direct query to source or dataflow to reduce the data as of now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak Fyi, online premium with shared capacity also have a 2 hours limit on data refresh fuction.  

unless you are puchased premium capacities.. and it can supported up to 5 hours.

therefore, i would like to see if any workaround / solution on desktop verison. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.