Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jasonyeung87
Helper IV
Helper IV

"A web API Key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided" error when using Web API

Hi,

I've created a Power BI report on Desktop that accesses a couple of API's. I'm using the Web API for authentication. I entered the key given to me and then tried to refresh the data. I get the following error:

"A web API Key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided".

I was wondering what does this error mean?

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonyeung87 ,

Please review the content in the following links, hope they can help you resolve the problem.

1. Get data from web error: A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Solution: 

1. Open Power BI Desktop and on the Home tab, select Get data and choose the Web option.
  2. Paste your metric query's URL into the Power BI dialog asking for the Web page URL.
  3. In the Access web content dialog, select Basic, enter your app'sAPI keyas the Username, and pressConnect

2. How to specify an API key name in Excel - A web API key can only be specified when a web API key nam...

Solution: Add ApiKeyName = "ApiKey" as part of the 3 parameter of using OData.Feed

let
    Source = OData.Feed("https://localhost/odata", null, [Implementation="2.0", ApiKeyName = "ApiKey"]),
    Table_table = Source{[Name="Table",Signature="table"]}[Data]
in
    Table_table​

3. There is a way to get around the Power BI limitation of not being able to perform anonymous authentication for Web data sources that require API keys by using Azure function proxies.To learn more details, see the following documentation: Power BI: Using anonymous authentication on Web data sources with a API key in URL – Kloud Blog

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonyeung87 ,

Please review the content in the following links, hope they can help you resolve the problem.

1. Get data from web error: A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided

Solution: 

1. Open Power BI Desktop and on the Home tab, select Get data and choose the Web option.
  2. Paste your metric query's URL into the Power BI dialog asking for the Web page URL.
  3. In the Access web content dialog, select Basic, enter your app'sAPI keyas the Username, and pressConnect

2. How to specify an API key name in Excel - A web API key can only be specified when a web API key nam...

Solution: Add ApiKeyName = "ApiKey" as part of the 3 parameter of using OData.Feed

let
    Source = OData.Feed("https://localhost/odata", null, [Implementation="2.0", ApiKeyName = "ApiKey"]),
    Table_table = Source{[Name="Table",Signature="table"]}[Data]
in
    Table_table​

3. There is a way to get around the Power BI limitation of not being able to perform anonymous authentication for Web data sources that require API keys by using Azure function proxies.To learn more details, see the following documentation: Power BI: Using anonymous authentication on Web data sources with a API key in URL – Kloud Blog

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Adel
Helper III
Helper III

You need an API URL not an API key to connect data through the web connector in Power bi Desktop.

https://windsor.ai/api-documentation/

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jasonyeung87 you will get answer in this video Accessing API and web service data using Power Query - by Chris Webb - YouTube

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.