Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

#powerbi #video about the dynamic formatting feature that is most recently introduced

Hello friends! It is nice to be back and finally had a chance to share this #powerbi #video about the dynamic formatting feature that is most recently introduced in the #powerbi April 2023 update.

One of the key benefits of dynamic formatting is its ability to enhance the readability and visual appeal of data presentations. For instance, by switching to a billion value format, data that would otherwise be displayed as large numbers can be made more easily understandable to viewers. The video provides the solution on how to switch between value formats, such as thousands, millions, and billions, to suit the specific data being analyzed.

Additionally, it provides tips and tricks for leveraging dynamic formatting and a deeper understanding of how to use dynamic formatting to enhance data visualizations.

Enjoy and share, and leave your valuable and constructive feedback.parry2k_0-1681478544945.png

https://youtu.be/tTNkPesnx5M

Dynamic Format April 2023 Update (Time 0_00_03;21).png
Make sure to hit the subscribe button to stay up to date with the upcoming videos on Power BI - youtube.com/@PowerBIHowTo

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@johnt75 very nice. thanks for the update. I was not aware that you can refer to the measure back in the format string. This is awesome. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Good video as always. There are a couple of points I'd make.

Within the format string expression you can refer to the base measure, so you don't need to worry about creating a hidden measure or maintaining the same code in 2 different places. So if your base measure is 

Sum of col2 = SUM( 'Table'[Column2] )

then in the format string expression you can use

VAR CurrentValue = [Sum of col2]
RETURN SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    CurrentValue <= 1, "£#0,0.00",
    CurrentValue <= 2, "$#0,0.00",
    "0"
)

The other thing I think is important, and very good, is that whether you use the measure reference or you duplicate the code inside the format string expression, it seems to only be executed once. Looking at the storage engine queries which are created there is only 1 instance of the query needed for the calculation. I can't tell much about the formula engine as I am not good at reading the query plans, but I would imagine that it is also using the cached result. So this means that we are not going to take a hit on performance for using the value of the measure within the format string expression, which is great. I do wonder though if MS will release a new function like SELECTEDMEASUREVALUE() to allow us easier access to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors