Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kat12345
Resolver I
Resolver I

orphaned workspaces with API

Dear all,

Happy new year 2022!

I am writing because i would like to use the API  in order to get the list of orphaned workspaces (spaces without admin or members)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups-get-groups-as-admin#get-orphaned-wor... 

I am surprised by the sample response because: it shows "State = Active" => If it is orphaned, the state should be "Orphaned"???

{ "value": [ { "id": "d5caa808-8c91-400a-911d-06af08dbcc31", "isReadOnly": false, "isOnDedicatedCapacity": false, "name": "Orphaned Group", "description": "Sample orphan group", "type": "Workspace", "state": "Active", "users": [] } ] }

thank you, 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you very much Evelyn!!

If i understand well what you said,

your test tells that the workspace is  still active, but orphaned because there is no administrator in this workspace?

View solution in original post

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kat12345 ,

I have found the following descriptions for the states:

• Active – A regular workspace that is available and accessible
  • Deleted – A deleted workspace that still exists in the Power BI service
  • Orphaned – A workspace without a user account with administrator permissions
  • Removing – A deleted workspace marked for permanent removal

Based on it, I think orphaned workspace is still available and accessible, so it's reasonable that the Api returns "Active" state.

Refer to:

Power BI admin portal - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Workspace Management in the Admin Portal | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kat12345
Resolver I
Resolver I

hi

I would like to get the list of orphaned workspaces on premium capacity

• Orphaned – A workspace without a user account with administrator permissions

tx for your reply

Run two inventory extracts, one for workspaces and one for WorkspacesUsers. Compare the results in a Power BI or SQL data model.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kat12345 ,

I have found the following descriptions for the states:

• Active – A regular workspace that is available and accessible
  • Deleted – A deleted workspace that still exists in the Power BI service
  • Orphaned – A workspace without a user account with administrator permissions
  • Removing – A deleted workspace marked for permanent removal

Based on it, I think orphaned workspace is still available and accessible, so it's reasonable that the Api returns "Active" state.

Refer to:

Power BI admin portal - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Workspace Management in the Admin Portal | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kat12345 ,

I have a test, it acted as the official document said, the state returned by Api is Active while the actual state is Orphaned:

Eyelyn9_1-1641880632720.png

So it‘s probably by design. I think it's reasonable since the workspace just doesn't have the Admin role.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Thank you very much Evelyn!!

If i understand well what you said,

your test tells that the workspace is  still active, but orphaned because there is no administrator in this workspace?

Kat12345
Resolver I
Resolver I

1/ no this is not a personal workspace

2/ yes i can see that in the sample response it is not on premium capacity.

3/ I would like to retrieve the liste of ORPHANED WORKSPACE.... and i am suprised because in the sample response (Microsoft document see above the link) it shows "State = Active" => If it is orphaned, the state should not be "Orphaned"??? 

thank you

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That workspace is not on Premium capacity - is it someone's personal workspace?

What are you ultimately trying to achieve?  Orphaned workspaces don't really have much of an impact.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.