Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

need help understanding Sankey Chart tooltip

I do not understand what the measure value in the tooltip of the Sankey Chart visual represents.  As such, I created a very simple data model to demonstrate.  Here is my data:

data.png

Here is my visual:

visual.png

I understand that the height of each bar segment represents the size / weight of the measure for source or destination.  And, I understand that the link widths represent the size / weight of the measure as well.  However, what does the value in the measure in the tooltip represent?  For example, how does Power BI arrive at the value '25' for my "a" value, as shown below?

tooltip.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As you mentioned, value represents the weight of each path to help us distinguish the path from each source to destination clearly. If we don't put it into the weight field, all of the path will have the same weight.

Here are some blogs and articles about snakey chart that can also help you to understand this visual in details, please refer:

1. Visual Awesomeness Unlocked – Sankey diagram 
  2. Power BI Blog: Sankey Chart 
  3. Analyze entity data flow in Power BI Desktop using Sankey charts 
  4. power-bi-custom-visuals-sankey-with-labels 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin 

I was not aware that the set of source values doesn't usually match the set of destination values in Sankey charts.  However, in my work, those two sets will be identical, and, even though I can distinguish them with suffixes as you described, my customers don't want them distinguishable.  In other words, my paths will always be circular  So, I need to understand how Power BI is calculating these values for circular paths.  My measure is simply the sum of Value.  For the non-circular scenario (i.e., when I distinguish my Source and Destination values with suffixes as you described), the values that I expect to see in the tooltip when hovering over the bar segments on both sides of the chart (i.e., the sum of Value) match what Power BI displays.  However, for the circular scenario, the expected values do not match what Power BI displays (for all except one).  Below is a comparison of my expected value computations against what Power BI displays:

expected.png

Again, how is Power BI arriving at the values that it's displaying for this scenario?

Note that Power BI's implementation of a Sankey is pretty weak. For a more complete (and much scarier) solution you want to use

https://sankey.csaladen.es/

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

that's the destination weight for a.

Normally you are not supposed to have source and destination values match. Unless you want to see the circular routes too.

to be on the safe side change the source a to as and the destination a to ad  or similar.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.