Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Giada90
Helper III
Helper III

error in latitude and longitude

Hi,

some rows in field latitude and longitude gives an error when I upload the database, but that values are similar to the others rows that are ok, why it gives me error?

"The error is: numeric values does not fit in a system decimal"

But they are decimal number as the other

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
vanpraetp
Frequent Visitor

This is the result in Power Query Editor.

vanpraetp_1-1669501855216.png

vanpraetp
Frequent Visitor

Hi @TheoC - I am actually experiencing the same issue with longitude/latitude and euro values as per this example. You will notice more than 15 digits behind the 'dot'.

vanpraetp_0-1669501683879.png

Hi @vanpraetp @Giada90 

The error you're getting is because you have 30 or so decimal places whereby when working with decimals Power BI will look at only 15 decimals long from a precision point: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-data-types

Reduce the number of decimal places and the problem will be fixed.  You can do this by:

1. Reducing the decimals at the source to a max of 15, or

2. Have the records stored as "Text" datatype, extract the first 15 characters, then convert it back to a Decimal.

Hope this helps!

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Thanks @TheoC  - I will have the data source limit the "behind the dot" digits to 15. I tried the "store as text" option, but that did not work, unfortunalely, it resulted in the same error. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

@vanpraetp sounds good mate.  

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

vanpraetp
Frequent Visitor

@Giada90 and @TheoC - experiencing exactly the same issue with a postgre connection data import. When I get the data from the data source in csv, I can import the longitude/latitude data in PBI without any issues, but through the postgre connection I keep getting the "The error is: numeric values does not fit in a system decimal" error. Did you manage to find a solution for this issue in the mean time?

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Giada90 

Can you provide an example of the geocodes that create the error?

Otherwise, just leave the Latitude and Longitude fields as Text (without converting) and you should not have any issues moving forward.

When I use Long / Lat in Power BI, I always leave the fields as Text and have no issues.  The only recommendation I would give is to select the column and ensure you give the data a Data Category of either longitude or latitude (below screen shot).

TheoC_0-1658818552135.png

Hope this helps!

Theo 🙂

Hi @TheoC ,

this is an example of vaues that gives me error when I upload the datasource

latitude   longitude

Thanks

Hi @Giada90 it could be because there is a comma "," instead of a "." - also, make sure that there are no spaces in your data.  When I copied and pasted your longitude and latitude, I found there was a space between the "-" and the numerals. 

Hope this helps 🙂

@Giada90 just following up on the previous post. The issue is that the latitude and longitude points you've presented to not align to actual latitude and longitude coordinates.  

TheoC_0-1669764798366.png

If your actual data has separate columns, then just replace the commas with full stops / decimal places.  By doing that, you will get the following:

TheoC_1-1669764922629.png

Thanks,

Theo

@vanpraetp refer to the above post as the values that were being used did not align to latitude and longitude values.  Can you please give example data of the values you are using?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.