Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prashantvarsani

amalgamate dates

Hi,

I am trying to group data in Quarterly periods from the dates on my data set instead of having the total numbers by indivudal days. Is this possible on Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@prashantvarsani

I assume you have a date column in your dataset with some other fact data fields. If you want to group on Quarter level, you can user formula like "=ROUNDUP(MONTH([Date])/3, 0)" to get the quarter number of date, then you can just put the query field into visual so that the fact data will group on Quarter level automatically.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@prashantvarsani

I assume you have a date column in your dataset with some other fact data fields. If you want to group on Quarter level, you can user formula like "=ROUNDUP(MONTH([Date])/3, 0)" to get the quarter number of date, then you can just put the query field into visual so that the fact data will group on Quarter level automatically.

Regards,

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's simple if you have a dedicated date table. Does your data set have one?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@prashantvarsani also try this custom visual

https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/Timeline1447991079100

@KHorseman have you used it?

it saves lots of time - although it takes to much screen space? I wish they would reduce its size

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean I have tried it twice but it never made it to the final report that I actually released. It seems to only be really useful on longer scopes of time than I usually deal in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.