Skip to main content
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Regular Visitor

Wrong data from Google Analytics

Hi All,


This is my first time to contect to Google Analytics using Power BI Desktop.  I started with something simple by getting only "Users" by date.  However the result I've got loaded to Power BI is totally different from the result I see from Google Analytics web.  

What did I o wrong?  Really confused... @_@@


Appreciate advice.



Community Support
Community Support

HI @MF_Wong,


I think it may related to api delay, please take a look at following document to know more about this feature.

Data limits

Data processing latency

Processing latency is 24-48 hours. Standard accounts that send more than 200,000 sessions per day to Analytics will result in the reports being refreshed only once a day. This can delay updates to reports and metrics for up to two days. To restore intra-day processing, reduce the number of sessions your account sends to < 200,000 per day.


BTW, you can also contact to google support to get more support.



Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,


Thank you for your feedback. 


However i think it may not be related to api delay.  If that's a delay issue, only data of past (few) days will have impact, right?  When I compare the data downloaded from the G.A Web to the data generated via Power BI Desktop for a long period of time (more than one year), none of the data matches. 


= Cube.Transform(#"xxxxxxxx",
            {Cube.AddAndExpandDimensionColumn, "ga:date", {"ga:date"}, {"Date"}},
            {Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "New Users", "ga:newUsers"},
            {Cube.AddMeasureColumn, "Users", "ga:users"}


The above is the code generated from "Add item" step in Power BI Desektop.


Any idea?


Appreciate feedback.


Hi @MF_Wong,

I just figured this out today. 

The reason the numbers do not match is due to the sampling limit from google. 

Here is what I did and worked:

1- Go to your Query Editor and filter your report using your date field.

2- Add a custom filter (do not use "Equals..., Before..., After... so on, custome is the only way to prevent sampling). 

3- Within the custom filter then you can set your filter. I did a range: "is after and equal and is before and equal". I then compared to the same time period on Google Analytics and my data matched!


With the custom filter you are filtering within the cube and not locally on your powerbi desktop so you are able to work around sampling.


Hope this helps,


@fmatioli06 - I am also having this issue and want to make sure I'm with you. Are you applying your date filter here? Or somewhere else? 



Yes, using the custom filter option under the date field. Your screenshot is correct.

I have been using it now anytime I connect directly to GA. 


@fmatioli06 - You are brilliant! That solved my problem. Thank you so much for the solution! It just made me into a hero. What a great way to end a week!



Thanks! I am glad it worked for you 🙂

HI @MF_Wong,


I also not so sure for internal modification in google analytics connector, maybe you can try to use odata with google api and compare with google analysis web data.


In addition, you can also contact to google analytics support to known more about this.



Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.


Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors