Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

JMHBC

Working with data extracted from a SharePoint list

New to Power BI and Im currently trying to take some data from a SharePoint list and work with it in power BI. The list is basically a product tracker, and the column im having issues with is supposed to track the distribution month of a product. I've used the "choice" option in SharePoint lists to allow users to select the months the product will distributed in (attached photo shows what I mean). I realise this may not be the most elegant solution but as I mentioned Im new to the software and this seemed like a fine solution (at the time).

Id like to take this data and create a dashboard that shows which months have the highest volume of interactions with our different audiences. My issue is that once I get this data into power BI, all the data from the "choice" columns shows up as [List] in power query and I cannot figure out how to work with it unless I extract the values, which delimits it like January,February,March,...etc., but then makes it very difficult to work with.

All advice appreciated.

32853cc8-3f58-4e15-a18a-13b41abfb844.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ray_aramburo
Super User
Super User

My advice is to avoid working with choices (lists) unless you accept the deal that comes with it. My suggestion is to indeed extract the values. You can join them into a single row if that works for you. You can use inspiration from these 3 sources to do that: Video 1 , Video 2,, Community Post (check for Jakinta's response)

Did I answer your question? Give your kudos and mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ray_aramburo
Super User
Super User

My advice is to avoid working with choices (lists) unless you accept the deal that comes with it. My suggestion is to indeed extract the values. You can join them into a single row if that works for you. You can use inspiration from these 3 sources to do that: Video 1 , Video 2,, Community Post (check for Jakinta's response)

Did I answer your question? Give your kudos and mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.