Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why am I getting the following error, "Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value..."

I just went in to edit the query on a file I have edited many times before with no problem. But this time, the following error came up: Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.

What the heck is this? And why now? I religously upgrade to the new version of Power BI desktop, so perhaps this is a bug?

I am connecting to a single data source - the v.8 data feed from Dynamics CRM 2016. And the error comes up at the first line of data aquisition in the applied steps. I then have a number of steps expanding columns. And finally, the data again dispalys for me when I rename the columns.

Clipboard01.jpg

NONE of it is earth shattering stuff, so hopefully this is an easy fix!

Thanks!

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Geoffwood:  Your timing is exquisite.  Monday afternoon (the 17th) I got the following from the development team:

"Hi Jack,
Good news  The issue has been fixed and will be added to our next October release – by the end of the month.

Sincerely,
Katarzyna Szymanska

Microsoft Power BI Team "

So, hopefully this issue will go away in a couple of weeks.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
raypx
Regular Visitor

Hi guys,

I got the same issue when trying to retrieve systemuser table, but I found this workaround and it worked for me;

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Preview-Error-The-type-of-the-current-preview-value-is-too/i...

Hope this helps.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

In your scenario, when you connect to Dynamics CRM with the OData URL https://[instance_name].crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.0/ by clicking Get Data-> OData Feed, is there any error throws out? And can you retrieve data?

Please check if you are providing the correct instance URL (check with your admin). If you still hitting issues connecting, please contact your CRM Admin to confirm you have all available updates.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have this exact same issue connecting to a table in NetSuite using the native NetSuite ODBC drivers.  As above, a table that I have connected to before, and a query that I have edited before.  Nothing earth-shattering, simply pulling in a limited number of columns from the NetSuite table, filtering out null values, and renaming a couple of columns.  Not rocket science.  I get the exact same error message:  Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display.  What on earth does "The type of the current preview value . . . " mean?

Also, and in reference to the reply above, I can still connect to other tables in the NetSuite instance.  So the connection to the dataset is still valid.

Hi, i have this error, same i connect Power BI with ODBC to Netsuite. "Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value

I see that this error follow. How you solved?

Thanks for your time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the following message from the Power BI Admins:

Thank you for additional info. This seems like something the Power BI doesn’t support yet. It seems like you were able to hit the ValueSerializer limit and therefore you got into this state. We are working on allowing users to get past the ValueSerializer limit for they specific data source and perform schema transformations.

I wrote back to ask what that means and how I can get around it, since I am not really sure what they are referring to... anyone know?

This answer doesn't make a lot of sense based on your original question.  And your original question seems to be virtually identical to mine:

• Existing query against a known dataset, which has previously been edited
  • Suddenly getting very long delays in simply connecting to a particular table in the dataset
  • "Preview.Error: The tyep of the curretn preview value . . . " gets thrown with no additional explanation
  • In my case, I can continue to connect to other tables in the dataset, and edit those queries.

I sent a frown with this but have yet to hear back from MSFT.

I submitted a "frown" with this issue over the weekend (Saturday, the 27th).  (I think you have to enable "tracing" in "file / options / diagnostics" to do this, but I wouldn't swear to that.)  Got feedback from the PowerBI team last night (Monday, the 29th.)  They asked for a copy of my .pbix file, which I sent to them.  Feedback is that this is apparently a bug.  Here is the last info from the PowerBI team:

"Thanks a lot for sharing the pbix file with us. We are working on fixing this and will keep in touch with you if we have a workaround, a fix in the next Desktop update, or if we have any additional questions."

So this would appear to be a bug, and the earliest this might be solved is in the September release.  If I get any more info from the PowerBI team, I'll post that here.

Did anyone ever make any progress on this? I'm getting the error when trying to import a table via NetSuite ODBC drivers. I can't get the preview to load, so there's no chance to edit the load to remove any complexity. I even tried using the advanced query editor and pasting in code to remove columns from the query against a very similar table without any luck.

Geoffwood:  Your timing is exquisite.  Monday afternoon (the 17th) I got the following from the development team:

"Hi Jack,
Good news  The issue has been fixed and will be added to our next October release – by the end of the month.

Sincerely,
Katarzyna Szymanska

Microsoft Power BI Team "

So, hopefully this issue will go away in a couple of weeks.

I have seen in many posts that supposedly this problem is fixed.  Those were dating back to 2016 and 2018.  However, I am running into this same problem and cannot figure a solution.  It only affects one table in my database.  All the other tables preview just fine.  

I am exporting data from Quickbooks using the ODBC driver.  Ironically, if I use the Microsoft Query function, it works just fine and shows the table.  I just don't want to have so many processes running at the same time to pull my data from Quickbooks as it makes both programs run extremely slow.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello @jackheilpern,

In November 2016 i've got the same error (Dynamics CRM online, API 8.1).

Preview.Error: The type of the current preview value is too complex to display."

Is your problem solved after the Oktober update?

Kind regards, Marco

I'm late coming back to this issue, but the problem . . . is partially solved.  Which is another way of saying it's not solved at all.  In my case i was simply (back last fall) connecting to a table in NetSuite (Oracle) containing location information.  And PowerBI threw up and gave the above error message simply trying to connect to the table.  This isn't (by far) the largest table I've connected to in this NetSuite installation.  Now?  The queries seem to have fixed themselves, and I can preview and modify them.  Now there is another table (Accounts) that I can't get anything out of, and get the same above error message.  This also isn't a particularly complex table.  I don't get it.

I still have issues, and probably not coincidentally they are with NetSuite.

Wow.  I wonder who might be responsible for addressing, Microsoft or NetSuite?  Moderator?  Anyone?

I have exact same error occurs when I trying to connect NetSuite. Cannot imagine how this issue/ bug exsits for at least 3 years. 

Well, in my case at least, the October release is installed, but the error persists Smiley Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @geoffwood - even if you did so before, keep sending the Power BI team your in system feedback (frownie face) and share the details of the error with them. If the problem is persisting, maybe the bug has not been completely squashed.

Best,

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome news! I was able to connect to CRM using the older oData feed and the error went away (but with other problems surfacing as a result). So I will be very excited to have this fixed.

Thanks, Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.