Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mglasser
Advocate I
Advocate I

What visualization am I using?

Is there a way to know what visualization is being used for a specific viz in my report?  Suppose I am opening up someone else's report and see a viz I like.  How do I know what the viz is?  It seems like it highlights the viz from the Visualizations selection pane with a box around it, but in my case there is nothing highlighted.  I can deploy the report to my server and it works, but how it is working is not my question (at the moment).  How do I find out the name of the visualization that created what I can see on the report?  Is there a properties or About or any text I can search within the PBIX file (after I extract it)?

Thanks,

Mike

7 REPLIES 7
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@mglasser ,

Could you please share the viz screen shot? May be it's custom visual. Also you can check the extra custom visuals like below screen shot.

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Here is a screenshot of the viz when it is selected.  I see no custom visualizations as shown in your picture, nor do I see any delivered viz highlighted.  Maybe someone recognizes the options in the Fields well, particularly the "color saturation" option.  It would be nice to know this viz, but my question is more general for identifying any visualization that I see in a PBI file.

Annotation 2020-06-15 104327.png

Hi @mglasser ,

I think it's Shape Map. It's quite strange that you don't have Shape Map in your Visualizations pane.

What's your Desktop version? Try update it to latest version and see if this fixed.

1.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

It seems from the responses there is no way to know the visualization used by only looking in the text available in the PBIX file.  And in my case where it is not highlighting the viz in the panel, there is no way to know the name of a visualization unless someone else can recognize it's available properties.  This seems so odd, since the desktop seems to know what viz it is so it can highlight the right visualization.  But I guess sometimes the solution is "no, there is no solution."  Thanks everyone for the help.

It looks peculiar. I mean I haven't seen this before.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mglasser , I am not sure I got it. But personalize visual on April 2020 can help in power bi service

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-2020-feature-summary/#_Personalize_v...

That is a nice new feature, and a bit scary for my users to use that, but that does not help to tell me what visualization was used for a specific viz on an existing report.  Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.